How far will you go when your Bun won't eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strings393

Jamie & Mat
Reaction score
Today was a very stressful day. One of my rabbits, Penny, wouldn't eat today. He was refusing all of his favorite treats. Spinach, Pumpkin, Apple, even BANANAS! He wasn't eating anything. I tried pleading an coaxing him to eat something anything, but he wouldn't give in. I checked his teeth and felt his stomach, he seemed completely normal. It's Sunday so my vet clinic is closed today and my emergency care clinic doesn't have a rabbit savvy vet. I had critical care on hand in case I had to force feed him. However Penny is a very shy rabbit, and he gets stressed out easily. So force feeding anything was my last resort. So I was trying to think of something he would eat. Then I remembered. Penny is always trying to get into my cat food. So I went and grabbed a single piece of cat food and offered it to him. He ate it! (I know cat food is terrible for rabbits, but I was desperate) Then suddenly it was like he was starving he ate a whole slice of apple and few other normal bunny things.

So I was wondering: have any of you ever fed your rabbit something strange just to get them to eat? Or am I the only crazy rabbit mother who is terrified of GI stasis?

I always have critical care on hand and am not afraid of being forceful. My sick bunnies usually forgive me when they start feeling better. The only thing I was going to try but ended up not having to was baby food.

Latest posts

Back