How does your bun sleep?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyRue

Reaction score
It amuses me to no end that Rue has a sleeping routine right down to position he sleeps.

In the morning he sleeps on the top part of his cage under his little log home, he then a few hours later gets up for a snack then goes back to his cage and flops out on the bottom. Wakes up for a snack then curls up in the front left corner of his pen. Snack time flops out in front of the cage, snack time then flops and rolls over stretches out and sprawls in the front right corner.

Without fail this is his routine every day. I love his full out roll and stretch. He likes to put his back legs in the spaces of the pen, stretches straight out front legs in front and his chin on the ground right ear up left ear down or both ears down.

I need to get a picture of the flop stretch, its too darn cute.

So anyone else notice their buns sleeping routine?

Buckley sleeps inside his hutch in the day but out in his run at night :) and Alice, Bonnie and Casey sleep where ever, i haven't really noticed but they spend most of the day asleep and all night awake keeping me awake by digging, throwing toys with bells and binkying :)

The only reason I know Rue is asleep is because his nose stops twitching. When he is resting it still twitches very slowly. I have identified his breathing when he sleeps vs resting as well. It took awhile to tell because he doesn't always close his eyes sleeping(as we all know is common in buns. Yes I have no life lol

Q has a specific bedtime routine. I feed her and then I get in bed. She eats for about ten or fifteen minutes. Then she bounces over to my chair, thumps, and awaits pets. I get up, snuggle her for a few minutes, and go lie down. She rests for maybe twenty or thirty minutes and bounces back to her cage for more noms. When she comes back to the chair, she tests the bed first to see if I'm still up (usually with a nose bonk to the leg to see if I react) and the bounces back up to the chair. If she's deemed me awake, she thumps for more pets. If I'm asleep, she snuggles in and falls asleep on the chair.

Q sounds like she has the cutest routine! I can't imagine letting Rue get in bed with me. I suspect he would eat our bed. Which would make him lunch for DH lol.

Hmmm I haven't really noticed if Harvey has a sleeping routine. He has places he will sleep. He'll do the flop and rub his head on the floor. What I really love is when he's tired and has his head up but his head will drop to the ground and he starts dreaming. Cutest thing ever! Twitching dreaming rabbit.

Twigs spend the day sleeping under my curio cabinet and then at night he plays a "speed bump" sleeping right in the walk way between the living and dinning room.

My buns don't really sleep a whole lot where I can see them. I suspect they sleep mostly when I'm away at work and at night. When I am home, they sleep behind, under, or beside the couch usually in places I can't easily see them. lol. On my days off lately, I've caught them sleeping a few times and omg it's so precious. They sleep on their sides and their little noses twitch like crazy. On my days off it's funny because I can tell they're struggling to stay awake.

I saw them spooning(I posted as my buns about this. lol) for the first time, and they were both passed out. IT WAS THE CUTEST THING EVER. lol. They weren't in an easy place to see them, so I was so surprised and made a loud omg so cute noise. lol.

Our avatar bunny, Nikki, was 4 months old in that pic, sound asleep on her back, all 4 legs in the air, and her mouth open. She will drop and flop just about anywhere, even next to the giant shop vac while I'm cleaning her bedroom. She's very strange!

With her eyes open, and usually with her toes emerging from her crate even though she has plenty of room to stretch out without doing so.

In this pic, she's awake, but it shows how she tries to lay *under* her mounted water bowl, but she doesn't quite fit there so she's just next to it. Silly girl. I also worry about her getting her little feets caught, so I nudged her foot back inside after this, but she stuck it out again when I walked away.
2qwkfpf.jpg

Under the bowl again:
34pyx00.jpg

And I can't end this post without sharing the cuuuuutest pic of her when she was a baby:
2ezskys.jpg

Love the photos- that is great!

We have three buns now and they are all very different.

Max is a white angora with blue eyes and he sleeps stretched out or all tucked in and his eyes are open- he looks awake, but his breathing is slower.

Peter sleeps like he has been hit by a car. He will be standing there eating, or all folded up and suddenly drop to his side and get all twisted up with his eyes rolled back, tongue hanging out and legs in two different directions- you would swear he was dead.

The first time he did that I panicked (we had just lost our beloved rabbit a few months previous) and poked him. He is very high strung and he popped straight up in the cage like popcorn looking all around.

Walter is pretty new, so he has not developed a sleeping pattern yet.

Our son whose room is near them, would insist they NEVER sleep as they bang their cages at night as they play around. HAHA

So they were randomly jumping on top of the cages, so I added this card board piece. This morning Stitch has been up there for about 2 and a half hours sleeping in various positions and grooming himself. This is the first time I've seen him sleep up there.
P1010126.jpg

You can see Mumbles below in the house if you look close enough. lol.

Last edited:
Sadly, I've only seen Flower sleep once in the year and a half that I've had her. But when I actually DID see her sleep, it was the cutest thing ever. She was having a dream and was twitching and kicking in her sleep XDD
♥

Sadly, I've only seen Flower sleep once in the year and a half that I've had her. But when I actually DID see her sleep, it was the cutest thing ever. She was having a dream and was twitching and kicking in her sleep XDD
♥

considering they sleep a lot and do so in cat-nap type bursts, you've probably seen her sleeping other times and didn't even realize it ;)

it's actually possible for bunnies to sleep with their eyes open - they evolved the ability in order to make them less vulnerable to predators when asleep. you can tell if a rabbit is sleeping with their eyes open because their nose will stop twitching.

Sadly mine never really conks out and goes into long bunny mode now that she's grown. I think she is very particular about lying supine - she absolutely cant be tranced or even held sitting on a lap, teddy bear style (not for fun, of course, but it's a two person job to do her nails). Even the vet was shocked when she tried to trance her to look at her teeth and absolutely couldnt. She used to conk out as a baby but now she just does bunny loaf with her eyes wide open. She has one chair that's her nap chair and it's accross from the couch I usually sit, but because she looks like she's sitting it'll look like I have this little bun just staring intently at me for 20 min. It cracks me up.

At night Natasha will hop up on my bed and kiss me, then go down to the foot of the bed, lean against my leg and go to sleep. She'll get up sometime after I turn out the light, but comes back from time to time through the night.

If I'm home during the day she disappears under my bed sometime around 11:00AM or so, and sleeps until mid-afternoon. Then she'll come and find me, get a nose pet and make sure everything's OK, and disappear back under the bed until around 5:00, when she gets up for the evening.

Back