How do you set up your litter box?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use aspen shavings in their litter boxes. They each have a hay rack in their shavings box hanging. Sometimes there is hay waste, but usually they are pretty good at eating their hay with minimal waste.

I clean their litter boxes daily and top up their hay twice a day. We are only allowed 1 garbage bag on garbage day. I end up having at least 2 bags of garbage a week so I have to take one to my work dumpster and throw it out there. Sucks, but I find if I don't clean their litter boxes daily they smell, and and I can't see how much they are pooping and peeing daily.

I have never seen those but if you do decide to try it I would go for the large size.

I just bought Beauty a new litter box yesterday. It is a 16 quart plastic storage box. I put some Kaytee Soft Granule bedding in it. She lives it. I thought that she might have trouble getting into it because the sides are 7" high, but she hops in and out with ease. She likes to just hang out in it. I put hay in there as well. She is currently sitting in there grouming herself.

Ellie wrote:
Mariah I know how annoying the whole garbage limits are! Arggg.

Has anyone tried the corner (triangle) litter boxes that have wire on them? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752717
I want to buy one for Buster because he's been digging in his litter box... but he has a REALLY big square one right now and I'm afraid that the transition won't go well.
that's the one I bought when I got my little bunns... they're quite content to sit in there and eat hay or even just chill for a bit, but at least one of them also likes to pee in the adjacent corner of the cage. I've been blaming that on the fact that they're 10 and 11 weeks old and have yet to be fully box trained, though. I've tried with the grid, without the grid, with hay as litter, with pellet litter and I've tried putting soiled bedding from the pee corner in there... for whatever reason, they seem to wait until they're finished eating and then go pee in the corner at least half the time (I do find pee in the box, too).

I got the biggest one, and honestly, it's not *that* big - good size for two little babies, but I don't know if an adult rabbit who is used to using a huge box would like it.

on a side note, the quality of the attaching system leaves a bit to be desired, though that's probably my cage's fault because the horizontal bars on the front and the ones on the side aren't at the same heights (they're staggered).

Latest posts

Back