how do you reprimand a bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap08m

Reaction score
how do you teach your bunny NOT to do certain things. i've had luck teaching dogs before, but i have no idea where to start with Reddit

Rabbits are extremely smart, but also extremely stubborn. Your best bet is to rabbit proof rather than training to prevent chewing or digging sorts of things. Having positive outlets for the natural behaviors such as apple twigs for chewing next to your wooden furniture or a dig box over that spot in the carpet they go after. Just block access to cords, they are too overwhelmingly tempting.

If it is interpersonal reactions such as nipping, yelping and saying no, then lightly push their head down (be sure not to push hard and hurt them) will communicate that nipping is not acceptable. Mine have turned the nip into a nose bonk which I much prefer. They get the attention they want and know I am "top bunny".

Rabbits can be clicker trained, it is a great communication tool and they love it. Once they get the idea they learn very quickly.

If you give us a little more information about what kinds of things you want to change we may be able to give better advice for the specific issue. :)

Rabbit poof! Tat has been the easiest for us... It's no fun for us to have to be correcting constantly... But we have also taught cookie the work NO! We have carpet everywhere, and is extra plush Berber carpet... So just the littlest dig will pull up the fibers, which then need fixed lol so we always stay calm and patience and if he starts digging I walk over and touch his bottom to move him away and say NO, NO! And I give him something else to dig... Like a phone book, or newspaper...etc. Sometimes I have to move him and say no a few times before he respects me but he always does eventually and lately we very rarely have to do anything but say, "Hey, No No!" and he will run from the area and do somthing else :)

The Rabbit speak link helped me. I have a 8 year old buck who I adopted and isn't neutered. I asked my vet to see if I could get him neutered and he said its too risky because of his age. So he is constantly circling my feet when I work and driving me nuts and this excerpt helped me:

"holding down a rabbit with a firm (but not too firm!) hand over the neck and shoulders will often cause it to quiet if you need to settle it down."

Negative reinforcement used to weed out bad behavior. Only pin them myself when they bite, or I pick them up quickly, turn them belly up, cradle them in my arms and discuss with them why I don't like being bit--it's the instant grab or pin that really gets to them as the talking to them is more for my benefit. Positive reinforcement is achieved by giving them a treat when they do something you want them to do, like bribing. They have become very adept at training me, too!

i try picking her up but she freaks out. i'll do it real quick and give her plenty of support but she won't calm down. she won't take any treats from me too, so i can't positively reinforced the pick up habit

First, because they're prey animals they usually don't like picked up. There are exceptions, but most just tolerate it. With that said, I pick mine up...and they don't get back down until they stop squirming. Just be prepared to get some scratches along the way...my stomach and arms looked horrible for a while. lol

I don't agree with negative reinforcement. It's a fancy way of saying when your rabbit does something you don't like, you scare them in the hope that to avoid being frightened they won't do it again. Which means you either have to terrify them enough they never repeat the behaviour or it won't work anyway.

There are a lot of issues with that...

You're deliberately putting your rabbit in fear for it's life (that's what being frightened means to a rabbit).

Most of the time the behaviour your trying to train out is natural behaviour and it's just a problem because you haven't provided a suitable environment for your rabbit to exhibit that behaviour

It's just as likely your rabbit will associate you with the the scary event rather than their natural behaviour you're trying to control e.g. not that chewing the table leg is bad, but that you approaching them means something bad may happen so they should start avoid you.

So, the short answer is you shouldn't reprimand a rabbit. They haven't screwed up, they have no concept of eating a table leg being a naughty thing to do. You screwed up for leaving an antique table leg you didn't want chewed somewhere it could be - so go bump yourself on the nose instead! :D

If you want a rabbit to stop doing something, first understand why they are doing it, and then give them a more appropriate outlet.

If you give a rabbit negative reinforcement for bad things they are doing, and positive reinforcement for when they do good things, then they will learn what is accepted behavior.

Larry: I like how you reprimand your bunnies. It doesn't involve hitting the rabbit.

Hitting a rabbit will teach it to be afraid of you. Not the ways that have been posted in this thread. The ways that have been posted in this thread will help a rabbit know the difference between right from wrong.

Sweetie still digs up the carpet, I raise my voice at her but I don't yell. There are times I twaz her on the nose, but she knows when I am disciplining her for something she did wrong because when she does good, I treat her, I give her positive reinforcement.

Disagree and a couple of well published and regarded psychologists teaching negative reinforcement don't recommend that you put the subject in fear of their life. I specific mentioned pinning or picking up and holding belly to the sky when they BITE, not nip or box, and talking to them for a minute. A water bottle is also considered negative reinforcement and there's been no Bridge announcements for bunnies sprayed to death. Also, how does an alpha rabbit handle a subordinate--pinning is one of the things one rabbit does to another. I've always told everyone the best way to understand and train a bunny is to first know bunny behavior. Cats have a set behavior, dogs also have the "pack" mentality and a set of behaviors. Understanding is the first key to working thru problems with your bunny, and they can certainly be taught to leave table legs alone. Time and patience are one of the other keys.

Back