How do you pick up a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this your first pet? rabbits can be handledgenerally the same way as cats, just more gently. support their stomachwith one hand, and their bottom with another. or you can put theirbottom in your elbow, and some of them like to nestle their head intothe area between your arm and your side. thats what my ivory loves todo. once you get comfortable, there are many ways to hold them you canexperiment with. just dont drop 'em ;)

The area between your arm and side...I refer toit as the "football carry". It's a very easy and safe way tocarry a rabbit. With their nose nestled against you, theyseem to feel more secure and generally struggle less.

- Dolores

She's adorable when I pick up Stitch I pick herup tummy and hiney then i cradle her in just like a football as saidbefore until she settles in snuggling her face into my chin then i justhold her by her hiney and pet and kiss her all over and she just sitsthere and tolerates me:p

Here area number of differenthints that might help:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-11/lift.html

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/RABBITS/rabbithandling.HTM

http://rabbitinfocenter.8m.com/handling.html

http://www.geocities.com/rah_rabbitry/edu_hand-behav.html

As Dolores mentioned, the football hold is common and is the holdpreferred by "professional" handlers (judges, breeders, showmanshipcompetitors) for most breeds. It is not recommended to pickrabbits up by the scruff of their necks.

Pam

I use the "modified" scruff hold to turn over thelarger breeds of rabbits. I grasp the ears along with alittle scruff, hook my thumb on the crook of the hind leg and roll therabbit over. This works very well on large and giant breedswith a looser pelt. I will also use this hold in cases wherethe rabbit is rather wild and difficult to handle.

The modified scruff carry hold can also be used on breeds that would bedangerous to tuck under your arm in a football hold (such as CheckeredGiants).

Pam

Lily is a Beautiful Girl, Aron. :)

Dutch's tend to have such wonderful personalities. Approach her slowlyand from the front. Let her build up some trust in you by spending timewith her on the floor and having her know that each time you go to pether, you won't try to pick her up.

I've developed a routine with my rabbits where when I shut down thehouse at night, lock up, and turn off the lights, I spend about 10minutes saying good night to each of them by petting them in theircages and talking to them.

The tips everyone else has mentioned above are key. When I pick myrabbits up, I move as quickly as I can to get their four feet plantedon me or secure. They tend to fight less when their feet are planted.

-Carolyn

The Dutch are one of my favorite breeds tojudge. They have to be handled very carefully as to notdistort the pelt/markings in any way. I am lucky to have oneof the top Dutch breeders in the country living near me who has servedas my mentor :)

Pam

Pam,

Why are they one of your favorite to judge?

If their proportionally perfect and everything is great, but that pointon the top of their head isn't quite sharp at the tip, wouldthey lose to the 2nd best if it's tip was 100%?

-Carolyn

pamnock wrote:
hook my thumb on the crook of the hind leg androll the rabbit over.

I'm trying to picture this (come here, Bubby! Mum wants topractice!)--how does that thumb thing work? I'm assuming that's theinside crook of the leg.

I've seen it subdue big wild buns with much success. Not often neededwith the small squirts. But they do it so fast it's hard to see whatthe left hand is doing as far as controlling the hindquarters. Anypics??

Rose

Carolyn wrote:
Pam,

Why are they one of your favorite to judge?

If their proportionally perfect and everything is great, but that pointon the top of their head isn't quite sharp at the tip, wouldthey lose to the 2nd best if it's tip was 100%?

-Carolyn

I've probably taken to them so well because I have such a good mentorto steer me in the right direction in the complexities of interpretingthe standard. Support of the breeder and their input can helptremendously when learning about each breed. There are 45ARBA accepted breeds and over 800 points of information to remember!

Yes, a blaze that is blunt at the top would be faulted compared to onethat is sharp. The blaze should actually not end at the tip,but continue in a narrow line (called the hairline) through the earsand connect to the wedge of the neck marking. Also taken intoconsideration is the saddle marking, undecut, cheeks, and stops (themarkings on the rear feet). The confirmation of the Dutch isalso very important, so all these areas must be taken intoconsideration in order to choose the most balanced rabbit.The Dutch comes in 6 varieties and the color is also a judgingconsideration, although not as important as type and markings.

Pam

rabbitgirl wrote:

I'm trying to picture this (come here, Bubby! Mum wants topractice!)--how does that thumb thing work? I'm assuming that's theinside crook of the leg.

I've seen it subdue big wild buns with much success. Not often neededwith the small squirts. But they do it so fast it's hard to see whatthe left hand is doing as far as controlling the hindquarters. Anypics??

Rose
Keep in mind that I'm normally flipping the rabbit on a judgingtable. Yes, I put my left thumb in the crook of the rabbit'sright leg. (I'm right handed and the rabbit's head is facing to myleft). Then I simply take a step to the right, using themomentum to roll the rabbit over, without having to lift therabbitor strain my wrists.The disandvantage tobeing a woman and using your body to help contain and flip the largerabbits is that you'll occasionally have to fish a hooked claw out fromunder your breast ;)

However, it's a good mode of control when you are handling Checkered Giants who are attempting to rip your throat out :shock:

I'll try to remember to get some photos sometime.

Pam

Thanks for the reply, Pam. I found it extremely interesting.

45 breeds with 800 points of information to remember. :shock: GOOD LORD!

They certainly don't make it easy for the judges.

-Carolyn

It is a lot of information to remember!Many prospective judgesmake index cards for studying, howeverI found that task too overwhelming. I have found it helps tohave an actual specimen to study, so we've had many different breeds inour barn. I continue to read and study the ARBA Standard ofPerfection, and it seems like I learn something new everyday!

One also has to learn how to make breed appropriate comments and useproper adjectives. I have a tendency to use the word "blunt"to describe the improper neck marking on a Dutch -- the properterminology for that particularfault is actually a "full"neck when the neck lacks the desired wedge. To me it appears as a bluntspoon edge -- but I can understand how "full" could indicate that thewedge is filled in. A lot of thought and practice has to gointo properly commenting so the exhibitor understands what you aretalking about as well as keeping in mind that a scribe is attempting torecord what you are saying. I have a tendency to talk toorapidly, so I try to make an effort to slow down and speak clearly sothe writers can keep up :D

Pam

Pam,

Do the standards change often or are updated each year or so?

I don't know how you can recall that much information. That's overwhelming!

-Carolyn

The Standards book is reprinted every 5 years,however, changes do occur yearly. A judge needs to stayabreast of the changes and record them in their copy. Forinstance, since the last Standard printing, Otter Satins, Broken JerseyWoolies and Blue Tort American Fuzzy Lops have been added.ARBA issues little print-outs of the new standards that can be tapedinto the judges copy.

Pam

Latest posts

Back