How do you know when it is time to let them go?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Wallace isn't doing well at all. Yesterday I took him to the vet for a kind of final try to turn his situation around. In some ways, he seems a little better. He sits with his ears up, and head up most of the time, and will eat a little of his favourite foods if they are right under his mouth. He also took a few spoonfulls of water off the spoon only, but still won't eat or drink from a bowl. He is extremely affectionate, and even letting me pick him up for cuddles in my lap, something he has never done before.

But the bad news...he is still deficating and urinating on himself, and his belly and legs are soaked. I've tried to keep up with cleaning him off with warm water, but it seems to be a losing battle. When he tries to hop around, he sort of stumbles and falls, or just collapses from the effort of it all. Sometimes he even gets stuck on himself, where his head ends up under his legs, and he panics and falls over.

Last night I put him back into his cage (an XL wire dog crate) thinking he would be best there on blankets, where he couldn't hurt himself...I was wrong. Shortly after the lights went out, I heard loud, rapid breathing, and then a crash. I jumped out of bed and turned on the light, and found him half slumped into his litter box on his side, with his legs twitching behind him, one caught in the bars. He spent the rest of the night loose in my room.
I also noticed last night that he has no reaction to me coming towards him, so tested his vision by moving my finger very close to his eyes...nothing. So I'm wondering if maybe he has lost some of his sight in this process.

I want what is best for him, and think I will give him another day to see if his recovery outweighs his problems. He is still...him. His eyes are bright, he loves getting his pets and face rubs, but seeing him have difficulties is so hard to watch. Right now I really can't leave him alone for any length of time for fear he will get caught somewhere. I think in my heart I know what I have to do, but how do you ever REALLY know it is the right time, that they won't pull through with enough patience?

You know it's time when their quality of life is diminished. I try to think along the lines of, "Would I want to live this way?" Rabbits love to hop, binky, eat, and play. If he's unable to do those things, then I probably would be kind and have him put to sleep. :( It's a VERY hard decision to make, but my friend and mentor once told me: To keep an animal for your own personal reasons is selfish. You need to think past your hurt and pain and look at it from their side.

Just know that if you decide to end his suffering, that you did it out of love!

You'll be the only one who will know. Sometimes you just "know".

Has your vet tested for EC? Maybe i missed that in other posts, but some of the symptoms sound like EC. I think it takes a very intense antibiotic regimen but maybe it would be worth a shot. Unless you think he couldn't handle it.

My heart goes out to you.

Does the vet have an idea of what caused all these problems? Is it something that might be reversible? I know there was some talk of a serious URI but is that expected to also have caused the mobility issues?

I would say if there is not a lot of hope for his quality of life to improve, i.e. for him to be minimally able to get around, not always urinate and defecate on himself, not fall over, etc., it might be best to have him euthanized. If he is improving, there are ways to set up a bunny's environment to deal with needs like this. We have a member who runs a rescue and has had some severely disabled bunnies that were happy and well-cared for. She might have some helpful ideas on how to set things up for a hind-leg paralyzed bunny. I know she used maxi pads at times for the bunny's incontinence, not sure exactly how that worked, and Wallace may be big enough to wear neonate diapers if you want to do that and you think he would still be happy in that situation. That member is TreasuredFriend. Another member also had a bunny that was hind leg paralyzed for at least a year and she did very well--her name is Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears. My info is a bit old; not sure if these people made the transition to the new RO site so they may not be active anymore. One thing you can do is set up an area that's his--some people have used child wading pools lined with polarfleece or artificial sheepskin with puppy pads underneath to wick away moisture--where he can't get into a situation where he'd get hurt. Another thing sometimes done is rolling up towels and putting them on the edges of the cage so he can't hurt himself on the bars.

It sounds like Wallace has some hind leg mobility though, and he may recover more. I think what you said in the last paragraph is the best indicator. If you look in his eyes and he's not there, or he stops liking affection, stops eating, (the 3 A's: alertness, affection, appetite) then it's time. I also would give it a few days to see if he'll improve, and maybe try some of the things others have done to make life easier for disabled bunnies. It may be a hard few days. Having a seriously ill bunny is very hard for both the bunny and the person as well, so there's that to think on.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies and support through this emotional ride!
So, I have been spending all day every day with my boy since this all happened. There have been moments I was sure I was seeing him die right in front of me. There were others I "knew" it was time to bring him into the vet to have him put to sleep. Then there were other moments he seemed like his happy normal self, and those moments kept me hanging on, hoping he would eventually pull through.

Today I called the vet's office to make that final appointment. He hadn't moved in hours, kept deficating on himself, and wouldn't really eat or drink. I had a very good cry, and began making arrangements, like keeping some of his fur, and looking into options for "after", like cremation and such.

Then as I watched him, it was like he knew what was going to happen and is doing his best to pull through. He started eating more and more throughout the day, and even ate a little hay which he wouldn't even look at before! He has eaten a few leaves of lettuce, some dill, parsley, and cilantro (he loves fresh herbs), and has been drinking water (still off a spoon) when I offer ir to him.

Then, he did the greatest thing ever...he picked up a small container I was using to give him water and tossed it...which is his favourite game! He got a little wet from this and started licking himself dry, then got into grooming his front legs and chest.

I called the vet back and told them what had happened, and we agreed he was a fighter, and it wasn't his time yet. I don't know if this is truly him on the road to recovery, or if it was just a brief moment, but wither way I am THRILLED!

The vet had told me is was likely an infection of EC, that began as a respiratory problem but got out of hand and moved into his nervous system, possibly his brain. That is why he is on an agressive course of antibiotics (1.5ml 2x daily of Baytril, 2ml daily of sulfameth, and a "super dose" of Baytril to get him going). I know that it is unlikely he will ever be 100% again. As long as I know he isn't in pain or suffering, I can learn how to meet his new special needs. Tonyshuman, thanks for the ideas and contacts for more info on disabled bunnies. Once he is out of the woods and I know what his needs will be, I will figure it all out.

He truly means a lot to me, and I have been an emotional wreck since it all started. These sudden small steps in his recovery are what I needed to kee my spirits high, and keep doing whatever I can to make him happy. He is one spoiled bunny these days!

We look at quality of life. I had to put my little bug Coal to sleep recently and should have probably done it 3 months sooner, but I just couldn't do it--I've had her for more than 13 1/2 years and just couldn't bring myself to say goodbye. Finally she was so bad she couldn't move anymore and I was cleaning her and carrying her from place to place. She was still eating and drinking but couldn't get around anymore and looked so pathetic that I had no choice. Good luck.

You should know that rabbits lack the menace response that most other domestic animals have. This is the response where if you act like you're going to hit or poke them in the face, they close their eyes. Basically, if you act like you're going to poke him in the eye and he does nothing, it doesn't mean he's blind.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your vet and that your vet is being realistic about what his chances are. I do think that you just sort of know when the time is right.

I really do hope we do have a miracle and he pulls through and returns to some normality. It breaks my heart when you love your pet and you have to make that final decision, I had to do that with my little dog a few years ago and it´s such a hard thing to do.

Looks like he´s is a big fighter and doesn´t want to leave you yet. Keep us posted of his progress. I really am praying for him and hope he pulls through.

Thanks everyone. I really can't tell you how much all your support and well wishes mean! He must be getting some of those vibes, because he is doing a lot better all the time...mostly.

Today he is the most alert I've seen him all week. He is eating like a pig, more than I think he was eating when he was healthy! He will even drink a little on his own, though for some reason still prefers to be spoon fed water. Such a little prince! His potty issues are still there, but he seems to at least realize now when he has gone, and shuffles a little to avoid sitting in it. Clean up has been non-stop, but he is worth it! I just wish he would go on the old rugs and towls I have out for him, but apparently my white carpet is way more fun!

So now the bad news...today (since he goes on my white carpet) I was able to see that there is some blood in his urine. Back on the phone with the vet, but was told that it is likely the infection spreading, and that the antibiotics he was on should (hopefully) clear it up. He is also still having major mobility issues, and fall over if he tries to hop even a little bit. So he stays under my chair all day without moving much at all.

I'm hoping to keep seeing improvements every day, and that he eventually gets back to some sort of normal life. I'm so glad I have such a strong, stubbron little man, who despite all odds and prognosis from multiple vets, has pulled through!
In the meantime, he will keep getting spoiled to his heart's content!

You always know when you are near the end but the ups and downs of the last few years really grow your bond. the close calls teach you to love them more than ever, It makes the time you have with them so real... Right now im typing this with the cats head on my arm, She drolls all the time now in her old age, I get soaked in about a hour from it, shes has accidents but just like with your bun at these times you just dont care what gets on you...You can always take a shower but you never know the last time youre holding your loved one.

Congrats on the turn around, He sounds so lucky to have a owner who wants the best for him... Sounds like you did the right thing and are treating him like a king!

Latest posts

Back