How do you know what to feed.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petkeeper

Reaction score
Hi I have done a lot of reading on rabbits...net,rabbits for dummies, complete caremadeeasyRabbits. Every book and article has differentopinions about what is safe for our buns. Like the completecare made easy rabbits....says "Don't offer sweets to your rabbit.While rabbits love the taste of sweet foods, they cannot toleratesugars or carbohydrates. Too much sugar can contribue to theovergrowth of the wrong kind of backteria in a rabbit's digestivesystem. Under no circumstances should rabbits youndter thansix months old be offered greens, carrots, cabbage, lettuce or otherfresh veggies. Eating those foods may kill them."

Now I know people who feed these items...including bread to bunnies andthey are not 6 months old. I have tried to give rex a fewdifferent things but he doesn't seem to like anything. Hedoes like oats...but again that is one of those things..one book orsite will say yes and the other will say absolutely not.Everyone seems to be an expert and yet everyone has different opinions!!

I am confused and believe me it doesn't take much. Igenerally stick with the pellets and the hay...then in the summer Iwill give fresh greens from outside...like dandelion leavesetc....don't worry I live in the country and we don't spraypesticides..and we wash everything anyway.

Can any of you share your experience about what works for you...thisseems like a great board with a lot of sucessful bunnyowners. I know my past rabbits have lived long healthy livesand I dont' think I killed them with anything I ate. A lot oftime I think people can take to many precautions, and love their petsto death!!

Also one more thing...as you know I have written Rex is gettingfixed...after he is fixed I was considering bringing another rabbit inthe house...what is your opinion on this...do you think he can be happyas a single bunny...or do you think he need aroomate? If I get one it will bea brotherand probably his biological brother the people who bred hisparentshim still have his brother..they have his sisterstoo...but I wouldonly want a male becasue the vets in thisarea will only neuter the males. Plus these are the mostloved and cared for bunnies. I get his brother fixed aswell...but he is so used to being the spoiled only bunny would a newintrduction be hard and will he want to spend more time with his newfriend than me?

Anyway thanks for letting me vent, and thank in advance for your help.

Shannon and my zoo crew.

I have fed very young animals limited amounts ofgreens. When they start sampling solid food, I will give a grass bladeor two. As they get older, the amount will get larger. That's beforethey are separated, because in that case each will only get a fewblades anyway. When they are weaned and living alone, I will give asmall leaf daily.

My adults get: straight Purina pellets by body weight (NOT free-feedexcept growing, pregnant, or nursing animals), a 1-in chunk of driedwhole wheat bread, and some get oatmeal. I have one that's allergic toit, though, so his treat is bread.

Other treats in limited quantities: Maple leaves, grass, apples (smallslice), carrot (2-in. chunk or baby carrot), rolled oats (1 t.to1 T. depending on body weight), dandelions, twigs of safetrees such as maple.

I personally haven't had trouble in more than 12 yrs. feeding verysmall quantities of oak leaves and twigs--in fact, our oldest lovesthem at age 12 or so. But many people say to stay away from those.

Rose

http://earthhome.tripod.com/rabsafe.html

I liked this list, i like that it is set up with things like gassy foods mentioned...

I realize there is alot of conflicting info out there, but i honestlydon't believe you can get all your info from 1 website. Despite HRS popularity I do believe it'slacking in some areas, and one sided in others.. Just my opinion

I am new to the bunny world and have read andread and asked question after question, my favourite links sectionunder animals is that long with bunny sites.

I have a bunnie who is just on 12 weeks old, she has unimited hay andpellets, she lives inside, I have given her 1/2 a craisin last nightfor the first time. Like you say there is so much information out thereit's confusing but I think introducing things slowly is a good idea.

If you have had bunnies before and they have lived healthy long livesthen I'd stick to what you know, I guess bunnies are like kids they allhave different personalities ( we call it bunnyality) but they all needlove, some like the same stuff some don't. But to me I'd be stickingwith what I know works in the past, maybe adjust a few things as you goalong with their treats etc.

As for introducing another bunny I don't know I only plan on having 1although in saying that my OH has talked about getting another but Ithink we'll stick with 1.
There are some wonderful people here filled with advice, love and care and I'm sure they'll have some helpful tips on bonding.

If you search the forum for old posts on bonding you could find some useful info there too. (top right hand corner)

I have read old posts and found some fun and useful tips on lots of things

Good luck

I found this for you after posting might be helpful.
http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/behavior/bonding-tips.html

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/behavior/expect.html

I dont feed greens before 4 months and then nocabbage and only as a treat.I avoid anything with sugar.they lovecheerios,oatmeal plain, the flavored has added sugar,I feed purina inthe green bag.I feed hay once a week.apples and baby carrots anddandelions when its warm enough for them to grow.i dont use pesticideson my lawn because thats were i pick the greens.bluebird

Latest posts

Back