How do you check your bunny over?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparney

Reaction score
If this doesnt belong here then move it-of course!

But i would like to know how to check over my rabbit Barney properly. Nothing is wrong with him, but i would like to know how to do it so when hes not going to the vets for his Myxi jabs then i can notice anything unusual.

I know how to check his ears, that is quite easy, and his eyes just about. But i dont know how to check his teeth,and underneath.

Please help because i like to check him over to make sure everything is ok.

=)

sparney

http://www.therabbithaven.org/bunny%20home%20check%20ups.pdf

When I check the incisors lkneel on the floor with the rabbit between my legs facing outward

I grasp the rabbit between my thighs to contain him and then lean over him to lift his lips both top and bottom and top to see if his incisors are growing normally. Normally the rabbit will attempt to back up but is contained by my body. This is my method, however, everyone has there own successful method of checking teeth.

The more that you have physical contact with your rabbit the more that he will get used to it. Try to spend a lot of time petting your rabbit ,stroking ears ,touching thier pawsetc . This will pay off when you want to do a physical because the rabbit is aready used to being touched and handled.

Barney is VERY used to being touched and handled because i bring him inside every day for cuddles.
I have found successful once or twice by setting him on a table and giving him some grass, as he takes it you get a little look but not a great one!

Thanks for the help though! I will try it out =)
...and look on that website!

My daily routine is checking eyes- I'll gently wipe any sleep or gunk away from their eyes if they have a little. Check they are clear and bright.
Then check the nose. Check there is no discharge etc. Incidentally check the paws to check there's no crust on them (indicating wiping nasal discharge away etc.).
Check inside the ears for bites and gunk etc.

Then I'll give their head a few strokes, and put my thumb and finger over their upper lip and gently apply a little pressure and move it up to expose the incisors. Check there is no malocclusion etc. (incisors not meeting). What I also do it run my finger over the edges of the incisors to check for rough or sharp edges.
Next I'll put two fingers on either side of their cheeks and rub (they love this) to check the side are equal. If you can feel a ridge or something on one side but not another this can be indicative of a possible molar spur.

Then I'll check their claws and clip them if need be but this is only needed every now and then. I think perhaps every week or so.

Then I'll scoop them up, one hand underneath their arms and round their shoulders, and the other under their bottom. Scoop them up and just check everything is okay 'down there'. No poop or gunk stuck to the fur and all clean. Also no inflamed or sore-looking areas.

Hope this helps :)

Jen

Latest posts

Back