How do you change 'Carefresh 'litter??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
I did a lot of reading on litter training on this site & still couldn't find info on Carefresh litter training.

I just started litter training my little Cupcake using Carefreshlitter- I want to keep some of the litter in her box so she can smellwhere she went & keep going there. Problem is , you can notscoop the poop & pee out of Carefresh since it is like ashredded cardboard.

Should I replace it all every day & hope tha smell is stillthere? Or should I leave some of the dirty stuff there as a reminderthat she goes there?

Or- what is the best type of litter/bedding to use as litter??

Thanks for helping with all my questions

"new bunny mommy"....Sue

With CareFresh, I would just scoop out the wetand poopy areas once a day, and completely change it once or twice aweek, depending on how "productive" she is. I wouldn't worry about herforgetting where to go, rabbits are smart enough to remember withoutthe smell.

Personally, I use Yesterday's News litter, with hay on top. I replacethe hay daily, but the litter I can leave for up to a week withoutchanging. Two bunnies in one litterbox, and there's no odor!

~M

I use carefresh and i USE to clean the box outeveryday and scoop the poops into the litter box....now i change thelitter every few days and clean the cage every few days also unless isee wet bedding in there, then i just scoop the wet beddingout

Keep a Fresh Box
Change bunny's box every day, to ensure a clean, fresh box. Thiswill prevent bunny from heading to cleaner places to eliminate. If yourbunny does not soil his box completely within a 24-hour period, simplyadd another large handful of hay to the "kitchen" end, to replenish hissupply. But never go for more than two days before giving bunny a freshlitter box.

Once dirty, dump the entire contents of the boxinto your "yard waste" container or regular trash, to dispose. (Ifyou're a gardener, bunny's litterbox waste makes greatcomposte!) Wash the box, and if urine build-up occurs in thebathroom end, pour in some plain white vinegar to soak it clean. Rinse,wipe dry, then add freshCarefresh and hay.

Got this info on the internet on how to changecarefresh litter. Hope ithelps!Cassandra:)

Thanks everyone! It is great to be able to get help from some experienced bunny owners!

:):D

I will change Cupcakes litter daily- at the end of the firstday of litter training & almost all of herpoops & all her pees are in the box ( a few poops arebeside the boxt but she's doing great!)

Proud bunny mommy!!

I use a cat size litterbox for mine, so I don'tknow if this will help if you're using a very smallor cornerstyle litterpan. I save plastic grocery bags and wrap them around thebox--bottom of bag in bottom of box and top & handles of bagunderneath the box. Then I just lift it up, tie that sucker up& goodbye stinky litter. Then I just wipe the box out with alittle white vinegar.

I have 2 buns who insist on using the same litterbox too. I juststarted using Yesterday's news 'cause I heard such good things aboutit, and let me tell you, I agree with m.e. there is no odor! This wasquite groundbreaking for me :D

As a side note, I've also been using Yesterday'sNews with the cat's litterbox, which is a far fouler smell than anyrabbitbox.
23_30_111.gif

I clean out the *ahem* poopiesevery day, but the litter hasno odor, and I change it maybe twice a week.

~M

Latest posts

Back