How do you avoid damaging a human and bunny bond

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the rabbit. Some have had bad experience being picked up (too rough, dropped etc) and some rabbits only get picked up to be groomed (Acacia used to be) which makes them fear begin held bc they know what's coming. Sitting in a pen with them helps them bond to their owner. Always talk with them so they know your voice and can determine why you'll be picking them up. I always use a sweet happy voice for Acacia bc it calms her. I used to sit in the bunny room reading aloud to them. Espcially when they are sick.
Now I'm lucky to even get to see my own rabbit bc everytime I go near her the cat comes too. He drives me crazy bc he doesn't respond to NO and GET AWAY while I'm sitting there. I have to block him as best I can - getting mad at the cat but trying to stay nice to the bunny. It sucks that I haven't figured this out yet. Acacia seems to be okay though. She's been peeing out of her litter box but I think it's to ward off the stupid cat. I'm putting new sheets in there today.

Rabbits can be very forgiving, provided you make amends quickly. After an unhappy experience, make sure you follow up with a treat or petting or both. If there's an unhappy experience and no treats to follow up or anything, your rabbit will link you and unhappy experiences together. You can get back into their good graces by being an extra gentle caretaker with treats everytime your rabbit comes near, but it will get progressively harder the longer you wait to make up and if the bad experiences happen often and with no reconciliation. Exactly the same in any relationship.

I don't like to pick up my rabbits unless I have to. Sir Callebaut's such a love-bunny, he'll jump into my arms if I'm on the couch for a cuddle. It helps if you have treats to give for behavior you like, but keep in mind that some rabbits are not treat driven (weird but true) and some behaviors start out cute but might become annoying.

Back