How do I....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali_1010

Reaction score
find a female American Fuzzy Lop to breed with my male AFL? I dont want to get another rabbit, I just want to find a qualified female to breed to help pass along his genetics. He has a really nice head and body, as well as a wonderful personality and his father and great grandfather have won 2 legs, and his great grandmother has won 3. He is also a carrier of the chocolate gene. =3

So, I was wondering, how do I go about finding a female? Are there any websites or AFL clubs/breeders that would do that?

I got him to be a companion for my spayed female, meaning he will need to be neutered at 6-7 months and he's almost 3 months now. Is it safe to breed him at 6-7 months?

Thanks!

Here is a link to the American Fuzzy Lop Rabbit club (I simply googled it - I don't know if there are others out there)...

http://users.connections.net/fuzzylop/

There is a link there to email breeders and another link for regional clubs or something.

I would think it would be safe to breed your male as soon as his "boy bits" drop (testicles)......and 6-7 months should be a fine age for breeding. I once had a male lionhead get his mama pregnant at around 8 1/2 or 9 weeks old....and I've bred older bucks too...

Good luck!

thank you so much!

No boy bits to speak of, but he is just a baby so...

Remember that he won't miss what he never had. Unless you are planning on showing his kids then I would reconsider breeding him. His sire and dam are probably still breeding so they can pass on the genes.

Roger

I have to say I don't think many breeders would be interested in having their does studded to a buck who was sold as a pet and never shown. A good pedigree still doesn't mean a rabbit is "sire material".

Plus, most breeders would sooner buy a new buck than deal with studs. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but when it does it is for very good reasons, like the buck in question is extremely exceptional, has a great showing record, carries something rare or comes from some very nice lines. Usually the breeder won't part with him either, so studding is the best you can hope for!:p

You got some good advice...Youwill have a tough time finding someone willing to breed their doe to a buck that was sold as pet.As Ral said, if the breeder kept a sibling or is repeating the breeding, his gene's will be carried on. Ifhe was sold as pet, there must have been something about him that the breeder didn't feel was up to par... or a sibling or parent had better.

(If you could see all the babies I've had that had a perfect head or great hips or the perfect rise... but not all on the same rabbit!)

Umm...he wasnt sold as a pet. XD

But, I know your all right because his parents will produce more litters and probably others from his litter will produce babies too. :)

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back