How do I start raising rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, get an idea about why you want to raise rabbits. What is your goal, what do expect this venture is going to do for you.
What you have to prepare for is that they need attention every day. Going on vacation, or getting sick can be a challange. It's chores every day, no matter how you feel, or what's happening in your life.
I started raising rabbits primarily because I needed something to care for, something that gives routine to my life, secondary was breeding for meat and selling off great characters as pets.

You might want to check out www.rabbittalk.com , that's a more breeder centered forum.

Ours are all rescues--felt no need to breed. Funny thing, years ago my dad got 4 white NZ's to raise for meat, but they all passed away from old age as they became pets, not food. We also had chickens and pigeons. The pigeons could hear his motorcycle when he was coming home from work and would fly off and follow him home.

Definitely second the first reply: figure out your goals first. I started with meat rabbits years ago. My set up for show rabbits now is VERY different. My breeding timelines are very different. What I look for in stock is similar (conformity to breed standard, vigor, etc), but that's because healthy rabbits is crucial no matter what your goal. What breed(s) do you want to work with? If you want to show, buy a copy of the ARBA Standard of Perfection and get REALLLLLLL comfy with it. Go to shows. Watch videos posted from past conventions to watch the judges and see which rabbits did well. Network, and don't limit yourself geographically because transport folks exist and can get you a rabbit from across the country for less than you can hop on a plane!
If you want meat, figure out which breeds are best suited to your temperature ranges and weather patterns. Calculate your ideal slaughter time, and the space you'll need to grow those rabbits out to that age. If you know you will need / want so many pounds per month, figure out what size herd you need given average weight your rabbits dress out at the time of processing. See what the going rate is if you're looking to sell, and make sure you can price competitively without going under. Make sure you have a good understanding of how to process or have someone you can pay to do it correctly or you'll risk getting sick and/or wasting a lot of good meat.
You'll want quality hay and feed that you can RELIABLY get. Changing a rabbit's diet suddenly can be really upsetting to them, so you don't want gaps in supply. You may find you can go in on bigger orders to a discount and split them up among other local rabbit / farm folks, too.
Make sure you have someone who can reliably take care of them for a few days if you're sick or need to go out of town. For longevity, look at automation like auto-watering systems to lighten your load while not short-changing your bunnies.
Most of all, I'd say KNOW YOUR BREED. Make sure they align with your goals, that you can meet their needs (so don't get Angoras if you don't like grooming, etc), and that you're ready for a long-term investment. ❤️

Back