How do I pick up my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try some videos that give some good pointers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TIN0xE8rBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TIN0xE8rBw[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1URtJbdoKrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1URtJbdoKrk[/ame]

The key is to give them proper support. Bunnies will be very stubborn about not being picked up. The rabbits on video are all very relaxed and they are on a high surface so they aren't going to run. A rabbit in his own cage will bolt. So you have to relax tha bun before they'll let you try to pick them up. Quick and decisive movement to support their ribcage/front legs and their bum will be your best shot.

This one is very good too. This bunny is very securely and comfortably held :)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdt0XKNlfRY[/ame]

Most rabbits (or at least so I've been told) don't like being picked up. I had this same issue with my bun.

Here's what I did (and am still doing): when you pick up your rabbit make sure you have treats available. Pick him up, give him a treat, and put him down. do this a few times a day. soon he'll affiliate being picked up with yummy treats! After that, just slowly extend the amount of time you hold him before offering the treat. And then phase out the treats. It may seem like a long process but if your bun is extremely aloof and independent, then its worth it.

The fact that many mentioned that buns don't like to be picked up is right on. They don't mostly. Look at Snuff in my new pic, haha, he looks real happy there, haha.:p

You really need to give them time and space. Imagine yourself in their previous position...:(

Best thing to do, is read, read, read on this forum in the Library and other sites like House Rabbit Society.:)

Maybe it sounds boring or a pain in the bootee to you, but if you really want a pet that loves you back and that you can understand, read up!:biggrin2: You might just be amazed.;)

One key to all of the techniques shown online is to be confident. I tend to get nervous because I know my bun will struggle, but that just makes him struggle more. So we've been working on picking him up quickly, rewarding him, and putting him down, and this has helped my own confidence a lot. You need to be able to grab them quickly and hold them securely or they'll know that some squirming will get them put down.

Our Penny is six now and she still hates being picked up. We tried picking her up and holding her a bit longer every time and that didn't seem to work, she is just not having any of it.

Molly on the other hand used to jump on my chest as soon as she saw me on the floor for me to hold her.

Bentley was dropped as a baby so when I first got her she hated being picked up and got very nervous and skittish, it didn't help that I was nervous to since she is my first bunny. Over time I gained confidence and was able to pick her up. I scoop one hand under her butt and kind of grab on her back legs so she can't kick, and my other hand under her front arms then lift her up and hold her against me. Just be careful when you wear low-cut shirts or tank tops - I've been scratched plenty times. you really just have to find your own comfortable way.

My cousins picked up their baby lionhead bunnys by the ears :(
I asked him why and he said so they don't kick him, but I thought it looked cruel. Now you can't pick them up (the proper way) because they get so scared, but thats how he feels comfortable picking them up.

Bentley wrote:
Bentley was dropped as a baby so when I first got her she hated being picked up and got very nervous and skittish, it didn't help that I was nervous to since she is my first bunny. Over time I gained confidence and was able to pick her up. I scoop one hand under her butt and kind of grab on her back legs so she can't kick, and my other hand under her front arms then lift her up and hold her against me. Just be careful when you wear low-cut shirts or tank tops - I've been scratched plenty times. you really just have to find your own comfortable way.

My cousins picked up their baby lionhead bunnys by the ears :(
I asked him why and he said so they don't kick him, but I thought it looked cruel. Now you can't pick them up (the proper way) because they get so scared, but thats how he feels comfortable picking them up.

ugg, please dont ever let him do that again. A bunnies back legs have to be supported. If they kick it can break their back =( not to mention that damages the ears

Ugh, that is so angoring to me! Please tell them not ever to allow such treatment to any animal, especially a rabbit. They must never be picked up in this manner.:shock::(

What was said above is very true, they can break their backs from severe kicking by being held/picked up like this.:( It's a nono!

Here is a thread from our library for you to check out! Enjoy!:)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12066&forum_id=17

I can only echo what others have said here- it's all fab advice. Just remember always support them and make them feel safe.

Some rabbits will always hate being picked up- the sensation of being lifted off the floor and carried away is what it must feel like to be swooped up by a predator, so some rabbits just never get used to it.

My God- I can't believe that....its just ignorance. Rabbits get such a short straw so often. Someone will have to do something soon...I mean something big, and something soon.

Support is so so important. My friend from school didn't spend much time with her bunnies- she took one to the vets for a vaccination, didn't support it properly, it kicked in fear, broke it's back and then had to be PTS. So so sad. :(

My big boy HATES to be picked up, and was the one thing I was warned about when I got him from the shelter. I'm not sure if he had been mishandled previously, or because of his size (hes about 16lbs now), he doesn't feel supported enough, and he'll bite - HARD!

So I found the best method is to go for a scoop by picking him up at the ribs and quickly flipping him into a baby cradle position (I don't even know the exact way I do it, I just do), and he'll tolerate that for a short amount of time.

What I'm working on now is training, and he sems much happier with that. For the most part now when I call him, he'll come to me, and if I pat something, he jumps onto/into it.
It takes a bit of time, but I think its good mental stimulation for him, helps us bond, and he gets a lot of treats for it. It also sets the bar for further training (next step is "go home".)

Good luck!

Wallace same! Benji is fine being picked up so he is easy, but Pippin hates it, and probably always will, so I do the baby cradle with him too, and it sort of trances him too which helps.

Latest posts

Back