How do I know if my rabbit is neuterred?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FascinaRabbits

Reaction score
I have amale rabbit I got from the pund and I wanted to know how to tell if he's neutuered, I dont see any testicles when I pick him up but he still mounts other females when I put one in his cage to breed, which never did end up happening anyways. And I was wondering if he is neurutered if I could bond him with an intact female rabbit. Thanks for the help :)

Even if rabbits are altered they will still exhibit mounting behavior to establish dominance. Bonding with an intact female is possible, but would likely be difficult.

If you don't see the testicles and look often (they can suck them up), then there is a very good chance he is neutered. Some vets and shelters will tattoo the rabbits in the right ear to show that they have been done.

You can try bonding him to an intact female, but there are no guarantees. It really does depend on the individal rabbits involved. Before Amelia was spayed (about 2 weeks ago), she was bonded to Korr who is neutered (they are back together now). While they did get along before she was done, she did want to breed and Korr didn't really appreciate those advances. Other than the humping, they got along really well. Since she was only spayed 2 weeks ago, she still has some hormones, so it will still take a little while to see if she really clams down in the humping department.
Go ahead and try bonding them, but be cautious about it. I would wait until you can confirm he is neutered to avoid any accidents.

I have to say I don't think it is a good idea. An intact doe, when she gets tired of the buck mounting her, will turn and bite his privates. As I'm sure you can imagine, this can cause very serious injuries. That is why when breeding you put the doe in the buck's cage and supervise the mating, and take the doe back out immediately afterwards. Both the buck and the doe need to be neutered/spayed before bonding.
Something you might want to find out also, a lot of shelters will have something about not breeding any animals you get from them in the adoption paperwork. Some places will go so far as to bar you from adopting again, or even taking the animal back.

Latest posts

Back