How do I keep Hay in the Hay rack?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tort

Reaction score
Ok this is my problem. A few weeks ago I move Sammy and Zamboni into their new cages and they love it. Lately though Zamboni is digging all his hay out of his hay rack and kicking it out of the cage or sitting on it and peeing all over the hay. I never litter trained him with hay in his hay box so this is something new.

In their old cages I had a hay ball but once it got about 2/3 empty the rest would fall out so I got a nice hay rack that attaches to the side of the cage for their new home. Sammy has no problem with his.

Zamboni is eating his hay but once he decides he is finished he will dig out the rest of it and make a big mess. I know that sometimes with hay the issues could be due to the teeth but he just had a check up and everything was "A OK!" Also the hay is good cause I see him eating it so I'm at a complete loss for this behavior.

The only thing I can think of is that he is digging all the hay out so that he can eat only the seed heads. He will do this with his pellets when I put a little oat meal in with it.

Any help would be appreciated. Then again Zamboni is a strange one; he likes to be vacuumed not brushed, he hides things, and he is bonded to a ferret. Maybe he thinks he is a ferret? lol

I'm sorry I cannot help you :)
I am waiting for some brilliant person to tell us how they keep hay "in control"
it is everywhere all the time in my rabbit's areas and it seems everywhere else too....:shock:

I've come to the conclusion that you just can't control hay. My own two are the messiest hay eaters ever. It's all over my Florida room. The only time I have ever had hay under control is with a couple of my fosters whose hay was served in their litter box. These were extremely tidy bunnies who never even left a stray poop. These are few and far between though. Get used to it, lol.

slavetoabunny is right, you have to give in to the fact that your house will not be free of stray hay,lol!!!!!!! That is funny. I use a hay box , right on top of thier litter i put giant handfulls of hay in , and for the most part it stays in the box, but my guys also dont dig into this box. I have found that hay racks in general are messy , when they pull out hay to eat it other hay gets all over the place, and when you are filling it it makes a mess.

hope someone else has a better solution for you

angieluv wrote:
I am waiting for some brilliant person to tell us how they keep hay "in control"
Breeders were able to keep her cagestidy by C-clamping thehay in thetop corners of their cages.

38395.jpg

38396.jpg

angieluv wrote:
That's a good idea but I don't know if i could hook c clamps to an xpens
The correct name would be Seal Clamps. Most of their uses are to tighten water hoses.Just like the hoses onthe radiator on your car. You can use a screw driver to open and close the clamps to strap on to the cage bars.

http://www.breezeclamps.com/products.htm

Hi Maureen,

Those pictures is just to give you an idea what the clamps are like. You don't need a fancyor heavy duty one, I don't think they are that expensive. A miniature size is for a garden hose (too small). So a larger one (2 1/2" or larger) would be big enough. Just try any hardware store or auto supply shop and see what the sizes look like.

Stan

Latest posts

Back