How do I house newborns and the mother indoors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glazcia

Reaction score
I adopted a female rabbit Monday and she had 11 babies this morning. I didn't know she was pregnant when I first got her.
Right now she's in a small cage filled with hay with her babies, it's temporary but I don't know the best way to keep them.

I have a very large cage I built for my first rabbit, a neutered male. I planned to introduce them after having her spayed but then she had babies.

Can I section off a part of his cage for her and the babies?

What is the ideal way to house the mother and babies indoors?

I've only had her for 4 days, she doesn't know me yet. What's the best way to handle this?

Indoors, you want a fairly large cage, because when the babies get bigger, they will need room to "explore". Outside you were saying that you have a larger cage with another rabbit. I would not recommend doing that because male rabbits, even though they are fixed and there is wire between them, they tend to get very territorial.
Hope this helps.

I agree with keeping them completely separate as the female will likely be protective of her babies and there's a slim chance the male might still be able to injure them through the wire.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't have too much advice to give. You will need more space once the babies start to explore a little, though make sure that the cage you have them in has tight enough wire that they can't fit through the gaps, young bunnies are very adept at getting out of places and getting into trouble.

Hopefully someone with more experience can add some helpful info :)

Back