How do I get rid of poison ivy w/o harming the bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgott42

Reaction score
I have a dwarf rabbit who loves going outside and playing in the yard - it's a good size area and he (and my sons) have a ball together. However, we have a problem with lots of poison ivy growing and my son is VERY allergic (often has to go on steroids when infected). I bought roundup poison ivy killer - however I'm worried that it my harm the bunny. What is best to do?
thx

I think you should spray the yard w/ the poison ivy killer, then when the poison ivy is dead, spray the yard with water. While you do this keep the bunny inside, or outside in an x-pen.

NO NO NO! That DOES NOT work when it comes to spraying pesticides. The chemicals remain in the earth even if you spray with water. Please don't do this!

Best thing to do is manual removal, or again another natural killer, FIRE.

I've read so much conflicting information on weed killers, that I find that it's just better to avoid altogether, just in case.

Fire is an option, you could also use boiling/hot water poured over leaves and root areas (providing you've got nothing delicate next to it that you don't want to kill). Once you've pulled/killed the plants, you should probably cover the area with cardboard or weed mat for a while to try and prevent any regrowth.

You can:

Burn it

Pour boiling water on it

Pour a mixture of salt, water and soap on it

Put mulch over it

However, keep in mind that poison ivy is very hardy. It will grow back every year and you will need to kill it every year. I've heard that it lasts 3 years...? I gave up on my p. i. patch long ago.

Latest posts

Back