How do I get my rabbit to stop bitting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, my rabbit, Dancie, always bites. she bites mewhen i'm trying to give her more food and she bites just to bite (iguess anyway)

What should I do? her bites really hurt :(

Why do rabbits nip/bite?
Rabbits can bite for several reasons:

• Rabbits nip to say "I love you". This is usually accompanied by thebunny circling you, often grunting gently. What your bunny doesn'trealise is that bunny nips hurt!

• Rabbits can also bite to get your attention, as in "Hello up there!! I'm down here !!! I need snacks NOW".

• If you are holding a rabbit and it nips you, it probably wants to be put down on the ground.

• Rabbits will attack with their teeth and claws. If you are on thereceiving end of this, you are offending and/or intimidating yourrabbit. Back off. Bunny bites can be very very painful.

• If you reach your hand out to pat a rabbit on it's head, the rabbitmay bite you in self defence. Rabbits can't see what is in front oftheir noses, and not being able so see what is touching them, they willbite you. This is why rabbits will sniff something before taking abite. Its good manners to put your hand out so your rabbit can see it'snot threatening, then stroke your bunny.
To stop your bunny nipping you, try squealing when youare bitten. Rabbits associate squeals with severe pain/fear. Hopefullythe rabbit will understand that biting hurts.
Cassandra

Latest posts

Back