How do I get my boys to eat more hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katnanw

Reaction score
Hello :] I'm having a lil break from school and finally found some time to post on here x

The thing is, my boys aren't very particularly obsessed about hay. What I give them in their hay tray can last them for an entire day. My cousin's rabbits' trays have to be refilled at least twice and I'm kinda worried at the little amount my 3 boys are eating. I've already reduced their Timothy pellets to a tablespoon a day, and vegetables to 1 cup. Is there anything else I can do to get them to eat more hay? Experiment with another brand, perhaps? (currently on Oxbow, heard American Pet Dinner Timothy gold is a hot favourite but it's expensive as hell. Thinking of trying Alfalfa King Oat, Wheat and Barley Combo.) Quality wise, the hay is already as green as it can get (I changed my supplier two weeks ago, and he orders it straight from The US.) Hmmm... :?

Maybe cut back on the veggies instead of the pellets. Also trying different kinds could help entice your bunnies to eat more hay.

Hope this helps.

K:)

I changed their hay tray . Heheh since they like chewing cardboard so much I placed a large Cheerios box filled with fresh green oxbow hay into their play pens. It was ripped apart and (although messy) they ate up ALL THE HAY in less than an hour . Goodness :biggrin: also they seem to love Oxbow Oat Hay most. So I'm feeding them oat hay plus fresh green Timothy oxbow hay I requested from my supplier :)
Just glad to see them eating :B
I went to research and HRS says to incorporate hay into their toys so I've stuffed their willow balls with hay. Will see how it goes, hopefully they'll eat that as well.
The vet has suggested I give pellets once every two days because their poop is really small due to the lack of hay . Will monitor their progress, praying hard in the meantime :(

Good for you finding a way to get them to eat hay through play.

Wishing you success on getting their poos back to normal size.

Have you tried toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay? My boys love them. Also a paper bag filled with hay was a big hit here as well.

If they're eating more hay now, you should increase the other food back to a normal amount. They do need the pellets & greens. Maybe you'll need to ask your friends to save their boxes, if you'll be using up 1-2 boxes a day. lol

LakeCondo wrote:
If they're eating more hay now, you should increase the other food back to a normal amount. They do need the pellets & greens. Maybe you'll need to ask your friends to save their boxes, if you'll be using up 1-2 boxes a day. lol
lol, her Vet told her to cut back.

Gee, if she lives in the States, all the box tops that the Moms need to suppliment the school systems for supplies, the boxes could go to the rabbits.

Boy do I wish I was living in the states! :expressionless
Haha well for dinner they chose to jump around and play and eat their Timothy + Oat mix. The plate of salad + pellets in the middle of the floor of my room almost went unnoticed until they stepped on it while chasing each other. Good news I guess? Ahahaha :B
Well my vet didn't say anything about decreasing the veges so I'll still give them a cup each day. She only said to cut down on the pellets cuz they'll choose pellets over hay .
Bleah their diet looks so boring now but the good stuff always looks boring ... Right ? :L

katnanw wrote:
Boy do I wish I was living in the states! :expressionless
Haha well for dinner they chose to jump around and play and eat their Timothy + Oat mix. The plate of salad + pellets in the middle of the floor of my room almost went unnoticed until they stepped on it while chasing each other. Good news I guess? Ahahaha :B
Well my vet didn't say anything about decreasing the veges so I'll still give them a cup each day. She only said to cut down on the pellets cuz they'll choose pellets over hay .
Bleah their diet looks so boring now but the good stuff always looks boring ... Right ? :L

SHHHHH, don't say that hay is boring. lol My boys love their pellets and hay, with a treat of veggies, especially wheat grass. And Luna is getting the hang of this diet too. Less veggies and fruit. She's too young yet. Neville is just now getting old enough for the veggies so we will see.

Glad to hear the hay consumption is up. Hopefully you have found a nice balance for their diet.

Also sound like they are just having a ball playing with each other.

I guess its cuz I'm used to seeing them eat more of their veggies and pellets than hay :p I'm glad the hay consumption went up too even if it's just for today.
Vet says to monitor them for a week, if the hay consumption doesn't decrease then all is well :) if it does she told me to try cutting out veggies and giving it to them by hand only after they eat their hay. Will see how it goes, thanks Karen! :big wink:

Latest posts

Back