How do I get him to stop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamommaof2

Reaction score
Ok so I let Teddy out for his free time in the family room he does his little exploring and then he starts to just sit and wants to eat my carpet:nosir:. I have his toys out and he doesnt really chew on his new toys. I bought him the apple sticks and he picked them up and threw them. I also have his hay out and instead of chewing on his sticks or tubes or hay he wants to eat my carpet. He already made one little hole,but I am not about to let him make another hole. I have a 2 year old house so I want it to stay new. How to I get him to stop? I have told him no,I have tried to distract him. But most of the time he will go in a another area and stop and try to eat it. I dont know what to do? Will I have to resort to him having play time outside? I dont want him getting sick from eating my carpet but I also cant let him put holes in it or chew up my baseboards. What am I doing wrong?

Another alternative is putting a piece of coroplast down on his run area. I have the nic cage with a pen attached to it, and 3/4 ths of the way out of the run i have a sheet of coro down that i wrapp a sheet around so they have some tract ion then a small part of my rug is exposed. Thankfully i have not had any problems with then eating my rug , the coro is there for occasional accidents,lol.

One of my girls loves to pull the fibers out of my carpet. Instead of eating them, she piles them up. I put down some carpet samples (about the size of a welcome mat or kitchen rug) in the areas she likes to chew, so she'll get those instead of my real carpet, she chooses particular spots to attack. (I am thinking of switching these to cotton bath mats or something in case they get eaten.)

In areas she likes to get right in the corner, an ordinary (clean) brick spoils her fun.
Someone told me to use a 1-gallon water bottle (filled with water) in the same way, but she chewed a hole in one and all the water went on my floor! The bricks work just fine.

No, it doesn't look too great. But it's better than having holes in the carpet, and if I have company I can always pick everything up and put it away.

Isn't Teddy pretty young? He might dig/chew less when he gets older. BTW, Teddy sure is a cutie!

Back