How do I get a dirty bunny clean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
I got a bunny out of the shelter today to foster for our local rescue. He is all white, and was dumped in a field with 75 other bunnies. :( He is covered in yellow stains, and his feet are filthy. I did take him to the vet right away, and she suggested just wiping him off with a wipe. I tried that, but he's still yellow and dirty looking.

Is there anything else I can use? Can I dip his feet in warm, soapy water, then into a warm rinse cup?

Congrats on fostering!

...I'm not sure about dipping the bunny in soapy water. The soap may have a reaction on the bunny's skin. I would wait until his next shed and have the fur grow out on its own. But, I'm sure someone else will know better.

:yeahthat:
When I got Cheeto, he had stains (although probably not as severe) from the newspaper he was residing on. The adoption coordinator said to just let him clean it off himself.
Rabbit's are really clean animals; it may take some time, but he'll get all the stains off himself eventually.
=)

Willard, our rescue, had urine stains on his legs and pads. We didn't do anything other than keep his crate cleaned. He cleaned up himself nicely.

I wouldn't stress your bunny out by bathing him. Just give him clean environment and lots of love, and he will clean himself up.

Congratulation on your new bunny. Wishing you good luck.

K :)

Yeah they do a really good job of cleaning themselves, slowly but surely. However, a great stress-less way to help them out is to use a good dry shampoo. Sometimes bunnies will enjoy this experience if you do it right. When necessary, I spray some of this dry shampoo on a towel and massage it into their fur and then fluff it with a dry part of the towel. It gets the fur bright white!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JD9S4M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Stains should not be too much of an issue, especially if they are dry and aren't interfering with the health of the rabbit. Even ones on the feet or bum area should not be an issue.
If the area is wet, or looks inflamed then it is a different story. You should try to clean and dry the area and keep it dry. Redness of the skin should be looked at by a vet.
Corn starch can be used to help get the stains out. Rub it into the stain and brush it out, you can leave it in for a few minutes if needed.
The stains should moult out eventually. It might not be nice until then, but the stains should not cause problems other than the look of them.
Keep the cage clean and dry to keep them from getting wet and the stains from getting worse and coming back (once they are gone).

Latest posts

Back