How do I earn the trust of my new bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbywachter

Reaction score
Today I welcomed Peter, my new bun to his new home. The place told me he is very shy and nervous around people. He doesn't like to be held very much, or pet. Even when I'm in the room he will barely come out of his little hut. This morning when I went to go get him from the pet store, I was holding him in the car because he was very scared, he jumped out of my arms and almost hit the windshield, he's alright though. I just want to gain his trust so I can interact with him more in the future instead of just leaving him alone. View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1419902847.468027.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1419902873.031313.jpg

He's adorable! Is he domestic? Something about him looks like he might be part wild. If you got him from a pet store there's no way to be sure though.

Anyway, the key to building trust with a rabbit involves lots of time and patience. Almost all bunnies don't like being held or pet until they know and trust you. And most rabbits will never ever like being held anyway. Remember that you are a large predator animal and they are tiny prey animals. For a rabbit, being grasped by a big animal usually means they are about to be eaten, so it can be very scary for them.

Start off spending a lot of time with him in his area. Leave him safe in his cage, just walk around doing your own thing, talking to or reading to him so he gets used to your presence and knows that you're not coming to eat him.

He's adorable! Is he domestic? Something about him looks like he might be part wild. If you got him from a pet store there's no way to be sure though.

Anyway, the key to building trust with a rabbit involves lots of time and patience. Almost all bunnies don't like being held or pet until they know and trust you. And most rabbits will never ever like being held anyway. Remember that you are a large predator animal and they are tiny prey animals. For a rabbit, being grasped by a big animal usually means they are about to be eaten, so it can be very scary for them.

Start off spending a lot of time with him in his area. Leave him safe in his cage, just walk around doing your own thing, talking to or reading to him so he gets used to your presence and knows that you're not coming to eat him.

Thank you so much! He's getting a little better I just have to be really slow around him

Thank you so much! He's getting a little better I just have to be really slow around him:)

Thank you so much! He's getting a little better I just have to be really slow around him:)

If you have a large enough safe / contained area (and lots of time), lay on the floor and read a book or watch TV with the volume very low. You'll want to do this far enough away from his cage so that he feels there's enough distance to escape and retreat. You won't be able to have any other people or animals in the room at this time.

Assuming he can jump out of his cage on his own, he will eventually jump out to explore and might slowly make his way over to you. The key is not to move or make any loud sounds. I would not try to touch him during this time.

It might also help to put a basket of hay near you.

Try to tape up a cardboard box and create 3 escape holes. If you have any chew toys, place them throughout the room. It's good if he has multiple things to explore.

Rabbits are extremely curious. Use that to your advantage. Eventually he will approach you, sniff you, or climb on you. You should see him standing on two feet checking out the room periodically.

Good luck!

PS - I would not put him in the bathtub. He is not going to like the non-carpeted surface or the fact that he can't escape. It's important that he feels safe in his ability escape or retreat. If you have hard floors, you might need to get some rugs if he is particularly nervous. He needs traction. Same for the cage - not sure if you are using paper under that litter.

Last edited:
Agree with Sidney. Not sure what that bathtub thing is all about.

Assuming the tub was a way to have some play time and keep him from running away, you might try getting a metal pen... the larger the better. However, ultimately it's better and cheaper to bunny proof an entire room.

I actually have baby gates on every bathroom door as well as the kitchen. I keep an extra pair to block of certain rooms as needed. I'm lucky I don't have a chewing problem. Awhile back I had to tape cardboard on all of the gates. :)

Latest posts

Back