How do I dry out grasses to be used for hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangelhotots

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My parents have about 100 acres of hay fields. They usually cut it 2-3 times a year, however this year the tractor is currently out of commission and they aren't sure when they'll have the money to fix it. So....anyone know how to dry out thier own grass to be used for hay? May sound like a dumb question but I'd just cut it and let it dry in the sun right? I'd love to provide the bunnies some fresher hay and they'd have a variety too.:pSomeone said they dry thier own hay....can't remember who...BSAR?

TIA for any help!

Well I guess you could cut down your amount of hay you need and just leave it there for 24 hours and then go collect it yourself.. I lived on a ranch for quite sometime and we would cut the hay the day before and then go "bindle" it the next day.

Good luck and post back! Curious to know how it goes.

My sister and I just hand pick it and then lay it out on boards in the shed. It dries out within a few days. We are trying to get a lot to sell or make a little bale or something. Our rabbits really love it though!!

I did it! Wow, I am definately going to cut my own hay for now on. It's amazing how fresh and rich it smells. Beebo loves it too! I'm not sure what kind of hay it is, I think a mixture of grass and oats. Here are some pictures:

Beebo trying to be sneaky, knowing I wanted to take his picture eating the hay...

305283370_wdurJ-S.jpg

I knew he couldn't resist!

305283405_2bFBL-S.jpg

I picked enough for a small trash bag(the aroma is divine!:biggrin2:)

305283437_oGr5d-S.jpg

Close up of the hay:

305283470_gfe7w-S.jpg

That looks great, Lilangel! I just love the smell of the grass that we dry! It smells so rich and fantastic.

Make sure that if it's in a bag, it is able to get air so it doesn't get old/nasty. The air helps to keep it fresh. I read that somewhere on this forum.

What did you do to dry that much!? You have a good half-bale there! We can only dry a flake at a time, and we're wanting to wrap and sell bales, but at the rate the grass we dry, dries, it's soo slow and then the old stuff isn't as fresh anymore. I guess we'll just have to dry more. ;)

Emily

Can you do the same thing with regular outdoor grass (like grass, grass lol) or is drying only for hay grasses?

By the way Lilangelhotots, your buns are quite lucky;) (and beyond cute!)

Maisy you can do this with regular grass, just put it in a dry, shaded but warm place uncovered and it should dry out within 2 days.

Awe, thanks Maisey126 for the sweet comment! What I do is cut the grasses in the morning, still wet with dew. I lay it out(spread out) on the concrete porch and let the sun scorch it all day. I gather it all up and put it in a trashbag-untied, open for air- for the night(so dew won't get on the grass). Then the next day I do the same thing...spread it out on the concrete to dry. By the second day it should be good and dry enough to bag up and ready to be given when needed to the buns. :biggrin2:pretty simple!

Very cool, that hay looks lovely :D. I've tried drying out regular grass for my bunnies but they wont eat it, they much prefer fresh grass. The first time I dried some I did it in the hot water cylinder cupboard, and it smelled like something dodgy :shock:.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
Maisy you can do this with regular grass, just put it in a dry, shaded but warm place uncovered and it should dry out within 2 days.
YES! woohoo, Batty will be happy:biggrin2:(and...so will I?)

I'll try what you do, lilangelhotots without it getting in the way of people's feets lol.

Wow, Batty really likes it, it's the color of timothy hay (only looking a little more pale) and dries in a day! (though for some reason somebody keeps moving them! I put it out of the way ya know!)

Latest posts

Back