How did you meet your current spouse (significant other)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
For those who are attached....how did you meet your spouse/significant other? And....what do you enjoy most about them?

For those who are unattached.....what are you hoping to find in that special person? What qualities?

And if we have any on here who have loved and lost....and aren't looking for another...what did you love most about the person you lost...

There did I cover everyone's possible situation? I hope so!

[line]For me....

Art & I met at college in Rhode Island. Funny - I grew up in Ct. - he grew up in/near my family's hometown in Northern Maine....and we meet in RI.

I first noticed him at a meeting we had one night for the freshman during orientation - I forget exactly what he said - but it really impressed me and showed me he was a deep thinker. (Wow..was I right). Then the next day we had lunches with our department heads (by major) and he was there as he was a math/sci major and I was a science major....and I heard him say he was from Mars Hill, Maine. Well - my family had told me to look from one of the guys who was coming down from Mars Hill - turned out the other guy changed his mind at the last minute - he and Art were good friends and were gonna go to school together.

From there - I "happened" to run into him in the bookstore as he was looking for something to send home to his girlfriend....and then I happened to be next to him in line for supper that night - and we talked for like 6 hours afterwards.....

It was neat to see we were in Chemistry together and we wound up becoming lab partners.

It started as a great friendship.....and even during our worst times - when I thought I hated him and never wanted to be with him again - he was always a great dad and a good friend (once we'd speak to each other again).

We've now been married almost 29 years....and what do I love about him besides the fact he's my best friend (or worst enemy - depending upon if his depression is flaring up)?

He's kind - to animals. He'll be driving down the road and stop to rescue turtles in the middle of the road. He's kind to people (when he's not angry at them). He'll give someone else the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time and forgive when I would want to stomp my feet and yell.

He's funny. I love his sense of humor and how he makes me laugh. He's also "punny" and I enjoy that.

He brings out the best in me - and the worst in me. Sometimes he makes me look at the flaws in myself...and I hate that.

But I'm a far better woman because of him....than I would have been without him in my life...

So ..... who's next?

I am single and happily single. I could never ask anyone to take me on as I am, that would not be fair.

If I ever did meet someone he would have to be non judgemental and supportive of what I have to go through and some of the things I have done/do, and also, whilst not able to understand, he would need to make every effort to learn.

That's got to be top but a close second is he will have to like rabbits and be willing to have them inside and out.

Those two are a must, as for what I would look for in him
~Someone taller than me in my highest heels.
~Someone intelligent.
~Someone that makes me feel safe.
~Someone who 'gets' me and we have lots in common and makes me laugh but will also cuddle me when I'm low.

I don't ever think I will find anyone though, and even if I did I would probably push them away because it's not fair on them what they would have to go through with me.

I'll go next! I've been dating Paul for two years and one week. He's 22 and I'm 23. We started dating my second semester at UAF. He says he knew me my first semester, but I have absolutely no recollection of him- oddly enough, his girlfriend at the time (they broke up in December 2005, a couple months before I met Paul) is one of the first people I encountered as she was an orientation leader, so I know I must have seen him with her, I just didn't really notice him. I have a tendency not to notice guys. We actually met a couple of days before my 21st birthday, so in late February 2005. I was in the computer lab and having serious trouble with the format of a project I was working on. The lab technician didn't know what was going on and couldn't help me. Enter Paul! He came over and fixed it in about 2 seconds. I was very thankful because I really needed to head to class. Then a few days later, he showed me how to use Auto Cad for another project. It turns out he was friends with one of my friends, so we started doing things together with our mutual friends for the next month. I was interested in him and am usually good at telling if a guy is interested, but absolutely could not with him. It was so strange. It turns out he was quite interested in me too. Our first date was dinner at a restaurant called The Cookie Jar, then we went to see the movie V for Vendetta. Been together ever since!

I love a lot of things about Paul. He's a genuine nice guy, I've never heard him be mean to anyone, he's very smart and enthusiastic and likes to help people out. We don't share all the same interests, but our personalities mesh really well and we get along great. We have had disagreements, but we've never yelled at each other or gotten really upset- some people have told me that means we're bottling it up inside and it's a bad sign, but we're both really easy going people and are quite rational and don't get angry easily. We've been living together for one month shy of a year now and everything's going spectacularly. He has put up with me getting bunnies, one at a time! The thing I love about him the most I guess is that we can be very goofy together. I'm a huge geek and so is he, and I feel completely comfortable doing and saying dorky things with him that I wouldn't say or do with anyone else because they'd be too embarrassing.

Interesting side note: Paul has an older brother, Dave, who is 34. They were both raised in Alaska and their parents live here, but Dave lives in Oregon. It turns out that I met Dave almost a year and a half before I met Paul! I was going through testing for the Seattle Fire Department down in Washington, along with about 5,000 other people. The only people I chatted with about the test were people I already knew, except for one guy who was waiting at the same bus stop as me before and after the testing both days. We talked for about 45 minutes each time, until one of us had to get off the bus. We had forgotten each other's names, but about a year ago he figured out that I was the girl he'd been talking to! Funny coincidence, huh?

Great idea! :)

I was running a farm/Charity that took care of special needs dogs and farm animals several years ago. We had a lot of animals, mostly dogs who were all special needs, cancer, epilepsy, blind, deaf, three legs, two legs, and the like. One day while I was out with a few of the blind dogs, a black and white mutt joined the gang and at first - I didn't even realize it wasn't one of my dogs, until the other dogs started to act funny. Anyway, so long story short, at Christmas time we found a "missing" poster in at the local grocery store - and that's how Kevin & I met. Then for a year after that I watched Buddy for him and he supplied me with firewood for the old farmhouse I was living in.

Then I ended up coming to stay with him, and the rest is history. Now he has more rabbits and critters than he knows what to do with!

As for what I enjoy most about him, is how good he is to me. How kind he is to animals, and how patient he is with me, and all of ours. He loves animals, but he wants time to do things for himself, like woodworking, etc. All of his time the last year has been devoted to building me a barn, building rabbit enclosures, and putting up fences for the big animals. And I know he loves the animals and wants them to be happy - but I also know the only real reason he is doing all this hard work and spending money we don't really have ;) Is because he loves me.

So as much as he drives me crazy and I drive him crazy, as I tell everyone else, we are together mostly because no one else would put up with either of us! :biggrin2:

I have been with Bruce 14 years in August married 4 years in september. I met him when I was 15 and his best friend fancied me (i didn't know that) I took one look at Bruce and just knew he was they guy for me:).

We have had our ups and downs as we have grown up a lot together but he is my other half, and my best friend. We got into rabbits together which is nice as it makes it a joint hobby :)and he has been fabulous helping me do up my business and being there when it all gets to much.

me and my husband , Vince, met back in 1992. We were 16,17 years old and working at a supermarket together. We were both baggers together. We went out to a party and within a few weeks we were exclusive. We were married in 1997, and had our first child in 1999, then my second son in 2004, and the last one in 2006. We have been together for 16 years in march, that passed, and married for 11 years. That seems like forever ago, we were only 16, 17 years old, who would think at that age I would have met the man i would spend the rest of my life with?

I met my husband, Tom, when I was 14 (he was 18). He was my brother's friend from high school, and I thought he was soooo cute. As I grew up, I was always "Tommy (my brother)'s little sister", and thus, off limits.

When I was about 20, we met while out at a club, and actually hung out. He kissed me goodnight & was supposed to call me, but his friends all told him again, "Tommy's little sister"... I had known he was wasn't going to call, and at that point it was more fun to hang with my older brother's cool friend.

Fast forward 13 years: my brother was getting married, and at the wedding, Tom (my Tom, not brother Tommy)'s date stood him up. I switched my table to sit at his table, and he asked me out that night.

We're celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary this year.

Cool thread, thanks!

my hubby moved in the apartment below mine... but it was several months before we started dateing though we would watch each other come and go... then one day my freind (who new how much i liked him) tried to get him and i intervined... and we have been together now for 17 years

haha.. hmm mine starts with a friend of mine going to college, she met her now husband there and moved to Mass with him(her and I are from maine) I came down to visit her in jan of 1997, and met one of her then boyfriend's friends, and I was staying for a week at a time on my visits,going home on the weekend, after the second week he drove up(in a blizzard)to see me and bring me back down to meet his whole family.

a horrible car accident that very weekend, killing one of his cousins, and I sure did get to meet the whole family, but unfortunally at a funeral.

I was "visiting" so much I was basically living here, and may 97 I moved to mass, june 99 we got married, october 99 we bought out first lil house, 2005 we sold that house and bought our current house.

Ironically when he came to get me that first time in 97we were house sitting for a state trooper, in 2005 we bought the very house we house sat for in 1997..

Well ummm, I met Bret at www.match.com and I swear it is just like those stupid commercials you see on tv! We've been together a month now and it seems like forever. From the first moment together the chemistry was unbelievable. I can just stare into his eyes forever. btw, if you wanna see a picture of him I have them on myspace. www.myspace.com/bretslady

Amanda...you and Bret LOOK like you belong together :biggrin2:!

I met Ryan one night at the courthouse square when he was 15 (almost 16) and I was 16. He was hanging out with his friends and I was hanging out with mine. One of my friends knew Ryan and introduced us. Ryan and his friends wandered off, but Ryan eventually wandered back to me and I waved to him, we started talking, cuddled in the grass.....and that was about 2 1/2 years ago :biggrin2:.

We are happily engaged and have our first house together (as most know). We work at the same place and he is my best friend. I truely love him with all my heart, though we have had quite a few "ups and downs" that we worked through, I mostly think it was because were were young and just needed to grow up some more.

We get into little scuffs, but I don't think we can go even 10 minutes now with being mad at each other. I start all the little fights, I'll admit it....I am too "uppity and worry-freak" all the time about things and he is super chill and relaxed all the time, which makes him a little mad at me when I get into my modes :p.

We are planning to have our wedding next summer in Kansas, where his family is (and halfway to NY where mine is...kinda). I think I am most excited for Disney Land for our honeymoon....it's like we are already married anyway ;).

UM.. heh... my husband is 12 years older than me, and he has a penchant for the younger ladies.. I was always the youngest in my gaggle of girls I ran around with..by a year or 2. So while they were legal to date older guys, which we all loved doing because younger guys in these parts are morons, I still was behind my other friends in the dating department.

So I heard a couple of my friends.. ok Audrey and Lisa.. or Atorres from here on the forum, talk about the hot guy in the black dodge. This went on for several several months, Audrey ended up moving off and Lisa still kept going on and on about the hot guy. I was like, yeah right.. whatever.. he's hanging around with you.. he cant be that great lookin. Lisa was kinda a backstabber, so I really wasn't into believing alot of what she had to say.

So on the eve of my 17th birthday, me and a a few friends were suppossed to go out, and it just so happens that one of my friends lived literally across the street from the *hot guy* I heard so much about. I met up with Lisa, and she wanted to stop by and invite him along, and I was like, great.. just what we need, an ugly guy tagging along on my birthday.

So we stopped off, and he answered the door.. shirtless. My husband has a massive barrel chest, he's 6ft1, and at the time he was built like He Man. He had this reeeeeeally nice hairy chest.. which I do like. And my inner brain was screaming, * Don't say nothin stupid, don;t say nothin stupid, dont say nothin stupid.*

So I said the most witty and articulate thing EVER..

*My, that's a very hairy chest you have there.. teeehehehehehehehehehehehehe*

Like a 12 year old... *tehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe*

Sooooo.... he DID go out with us...and I forgot to go home.. ever..which angred my parents mightily, and their threats fell on deaf ears.. 18 years and 2 kids later.. I ended up with the hot guy in the black dodge.

Mebbie he isnt the hottest thing ever.. but I thought he was sexy..lol

8f5b.jpg

We work at the same place we have been married 35 years alittle history my hubby had a stroke 4 yrs agoand is disabled nowsomedays have been rough butIwould do it all again in a heartbeat.:inlove:

For those who are attached....how did you meet your spouse/significant other? And....what do you enjoy most about them?

I'm not attached...been single for most of my adult life now :)shock:). But I was married for almost 3 years, many eons ago. We met at my best friend's wedding reception. (Boy, are there stories that go along with that wedding ceremony...) The reception was held at an old meeting hall in the country, and my sister and my dad were also attending. (***Forgot to mention...my sister and my dad also met and began dating someone from that reception, and all three of the people we met were all related in some way.) There was this one guy who kept asking me to dance...or I should say, insisting I dance with him. He was very drunk and since I didn't want to make a scene, I said yes. But every time I tried to get away from the guy he kept dragging me back to the dance floor. When I had first entered the hall there was a guy who I'd noticed from the corner of my eye, and I remember thinking, 'why couldn't it have been him who had asked me to dance instead of this fellow?' Well, after about the 5th attempt to reject the drunk guy, the one I'd noticed earlier appeared out of nowhere and insisted I dance with him. When the drunk guy got upset,Bob quickly and quietly put him in his place...and we wound up spending the rest of the night together (no, nothing 'went on' ;)...we sat together at the edge of the ocean listening to the waves, and then fell asleep). I wound up dating him about a month later, then we lived together, and finally married. We divorced because, as great a guy as he was, he didn't see himself that way. He had been 'damaged' from a very rough childhood, and so had I. We still had a lot of growing up to do...but from our marriage came the most incredibly beautiful soul...our son. Bob passed away a year ago last September from cancer.

For those who are unattached.....what are you hoping to find in that special person? What qualities?

Someone who can love their own self; someone with a great sense of humor (I figure you'd need one to live with me and my corny pets); someone who loves life, animals and people. Basically, someone who is honest, loving, and has a positive outlook on life. Oh yes...and he would have to go through an interrogation process - conducted by Kaya (The Dog) and Yofi - before being accepted...of course, if the guy hid food of any kind in his pocket, those two would be won over instantly anyway. ;)

And if we have any on here who have loved and lost....and aren't looking for another...what did you love most about the person you lost...

This story would get weird if I were to tell the entire thing, as it was so surreal I doubt I could describe it without it sounding on the verge of crazy...but I did meet someone a few years ago who changed me completely as a person. We met online, and we were simply friends. He was the most decent, admirable man I've ever crossed paths with, and without his even knowing, he taught me how to have faith, how to love myself, and he opened me up to the world of spirituality. I've never loved anyone as deeply as I did him. And I'd like to say that yes, I'm open to someone new coming into my life, but honestly, it would be hard. This guy still has a huge part of me. I only hope that if/when I do meet someone, I can love them in the same way, and with the same depth, as I did him.

Lets see here, the significant other....

Honestly, don't know where to startas I've known of him for about 10 years now. But really got to know him through e-mail about 2 years ago in which daily email novels were sent. Became good friends which led to phone calls and here we are, 8 months later.

So... how did we meet? It can all be summed down to one word, rabbits. It's been real fun getting to see all perspectives of rabbit shows and getting to meet a lot more people because of him.

Anyways... there's a lot of really cute stories being told! Wish mine was a little more exciting but it's not. LOL!

~ Amanda ~

GREAT THREAD Peg! :D

Mine is a little long, but I'll try and keep it short...

Me and Steve have been together since September 2005. We met at work. In September 2004 I started working for Orange, a mobile phone company over here, in their call centre. Steve says he remembers seeing me on my very first day, and even remembers what I wore, but I didn't see him for a while. He was quite popular, and I always heard his name mentioned, but never put the face to the name. Anyway, his best friend came to work on our team as a 'coach', to help people out, and I REALLY liked him. He said he liked me as well, but then could never make up his mind and messed me around a lot. I got friendly with Steve through his friend, and he ended up being the person I turned to to talk about anything and everything. His friend left Bristol, and me and Steve became closer friends than ever. I went through a really rough patch with my ex-boyfriend, where he led me on, thinking we would get back together, but all along he was seeing someone else, who he ended up with. I was heartbroken, and many times Steve came round to mine at 3am with chocolate cake and a hug to cheer me up. Eventually, he started on my team at work so we saw even more of each other. Around August 2005, the whole team went on a night out, and I vaguley remember that me and Steve had a VERY drunken kiss. I was mortified the next day, worrying that we'd messed up our friendship. He ended up telling me that he had feelings for me, but I was adamant that we should just be friends, as I was still getting over Jason, my ex, and was happy being single, living in my own flat etc.

My best friend knew better though, and kept on at me to get together with him. She used to talk to him on MSN, pretending I wasn't there, trying to get answers out of him, while all the time I was sat right next to her! Eventually, he took me away for the weekend to Devon (I'm still not sure how that came about!), and we decided we were 'seeing each other' on a beach called Westward, Ho! He told me he loved me about 3 weeks later, and I said it back about 2 weeks after that. We moved in together the following February, after about 4 months together, and the rest is history! We did actually break up a year after being together briefly. He had started being quite horrible to me, picking arguments, saying spiteful things, and acting like he didn't want to be with me anymore. As soon as I finished it, he realised his mistake.We actually gave notice on our house, and started looking for separate places, but in looking, I ended finding our current house, and got upset, thinking how perfect it would be for the 2 of us. When he found this out, he begged me for another chance. We went to look at the house, and went straight to pay the fees. Then we got back together!

It's been so different ever since, and although we do fight like cat and dog, I truly know that he's The One, and I could never be without him. He's 2 years older than me; I'm 23 and he's 25, and he'sso mature, and sensible, and always knows what to do in a crisis. Actually,when we were just friends I got a court summons as I'd stupidlyforgot to pay a speeding fine, and panickedlike hell about it. Steve called up, spoke to the officer in charge and managed to get them to scrap the court summons for me!Since we've been together I've had 3 operations, and have been off work sick for about a year in total, and he's supported me through it all. We got into rabbits together, and he loves them just as much as I do. He's incredibly sarcastic, to the point where it's hard to believe a word he says in case he's joking sometimes! He can also be incredibly grumpy, but always knows when he needs to apologise :)We're dying to buy our own house, but have to stick with renting for now. If he asked me to marry him I'd say yes in a second!

And wow, that was long! But I did warn you, sorry! :p

Aug '01: First met online.
May '01, '02: Started talking on the phone every day.
July 5, '02: He told me he loved me for the first time.
May 1, '04: We met for the first time.
Aug '04: We started talking about getting married.
September '04: We told my parents.
Nov '04: Just after Thanksgiving chose engagement ring. Then told his parents.
Dec 24, '04: I got the ring.
Oct 1, '05: We got married.
April 1, '08: Two and half years married.
May 1, '08: Four years since we met.

I was 18, he was 22 when we first met online. I noticed him in a chat room we he said something from The Simpsons. I was starting my senior year so I was pretty busy so we didn't talk that much until the spring.

I logged in one night bored after studying for finals. He was the only person online. I sent him a message and we started chatting. When it came up that he lived in CT and I lived in MA we started talking on the phone. From then on we talked every night. I was 19, he was 23.

July 5, 2004, two months later he told me he loved me. It took me a few months to say it back. He knew I was seeing other guys. He said he was just waiting for me to be ready for the next step.

Finally after two years of talking we me on May 1, '04. I was 21, he was 25. Instantly we knew that was it. We were holding hands before he left a few hours later. By that August we were discussing getting married. In September we told my parents. Just after Thanksgiving we chose a ring. He then told his parents.

We were married October 1, '2005. I turned 23 that day, he turned 27 the day before.

Rob is the most sensitive person I know. He can be so gentle. He makes me homemade chicken soup when I am sick. He loves the animals as much as I do. If I think they should go to the vet, he doesn't question it.

He has been my best friend from the first time we spoke. I could not ask for a better partner.

I met Chris our Freshman year of college (2001). I had a HUGE crush on him, but was too scared to talk to him because I thought he was too cute to be achievable. Cute, bright blue eyes, nice, and played guitar. I was in heavenbut I never got the nerve to talk to him. But as fate would have it, there was a long weekend on campus in October where most people wenthome. However, being from FL, I stayed on and Chris didn't want to go home. Because we were literally like the only 2 people on campus, we started hanging out. We went on walks, watched movies, played pool. It was good times. We also talked the last night until 5am.

By the time everyone came back, they could tell we liked each other. We started haning out more often and we officially started going out 2 weeks later. After college, we got an apartment together. In Jan. 06, he proposed. And he proposed in the cutest way; by tying the ring with a ribbon to Drizzle. Drizzle was hoping around the room when I got home and I saw something was on him. I was yelling at Chris because I thought something was wrong. I finally grabbed Driz and the ring was tied to a ribbon on him. Then he got down on one knee to propose. It was the sweetest and funniest thing ever. We got married 10/8/06. We now have a beautiful house with 3 buns and are hoping to start a family, hopefully, in year or 2. So we've been married for 1.5 years and together for about 6.5years.

And my favorite thing about him...he makes me laugh and smile, AND he's very patient with me because I am so stubborn it's ridiculous. :p

Vince and I met two years ago (I was 16, he had just turned 17), at a swimming pool party get-together. This get-together was a spring break party which our friend had created celebrating no school for a week!

However, I actually fancied another boy there :?, and this boy and I went out for a month before I realized that it just wasn't going to work out and I dumped him.

Vince added me on MSN, and we became good friends. He was very good at English assignments, and would regularly help me out with mine. I had no idea that he ever had a crush on me. 7 months after we met, we were at a dinner party hosted by Vince's best friend. Vince was intoxicated, stumbled towards me, and spilled everything about his feelings and proceeded to ask me out. I said yes, and have been crazy in love ever since =]

We've only been together for a year and a half, but it's been an amazing year and a half. He's my best friend! We moved in together last September, and I couldn't have made a better decision. We're basically married with a house full of fur kids!

Back