how did you choose your breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got Chewy as a rescue from a pet store, but lionheads are partial to me, because that is how I recieved Anakin as a gift (They knew I loved lionheads)

I got Kinobe as a rescue too, and in fact, I disliked lops before him!

However, I really want a mini rex, or a large breed. But in the end, it will be Kinobe who chooses who is partner is :p

I saw a picture of a holland lop online and fell in love! I found a local breeder who had just had a litter and I reserved a little boy. I love Otto and I can't imagine not having hollands in the future.

When we were looking for a second bun we wanted an adult who was already spayed. DH and I both love lops so we wanted to try as hard as we could to find some breed of lop. There weren't any lops in the shelters (a few great ones got adopted out literally days before we started looking). So I went on Craigslist and typed in "spayed lop". I got one hit for a grey and white Mini lop. We went down to see her and brought Hannah home. I love my little loppy guys.

I was looking for a small rabbit, preferably with short fur, and an adult.
But in the end, I didn't get to choose myself. I had shown my mother a lot of pictures of bunnies and told her about the different breeds.
She went to a market, and saw this adorable little bunny with fluffy fur with big black eyes, thought of me, and took her home.

I chose Cremes because nobody barely has any where I live, I'm the main Creme breeder in WA state. I wanted a breed that nobody else had in my area, I liked being different. Once I won RIS with my first Creme doe, it was love. I was given a trio of does from the lady that I received my first doe from and then it grew from there. I currently have 12 (or so) Cremes and they are my main breed. I have done very well with them and I just love working with them as well. :)

Since I had Cremes, I needed Champagnes as well! They are a very pretty breed and seem to stand out more then my Cremes. People usually double take when the see the Champagnes because of their beautiful color. I only have four Champagnes right now because my main focus is Cremes but I'm expecting a litter in a few days, I want to expand my Champagne herd a little bit.

Beverens were always my favorite. I never could find any around my area so I started up with my Cremes first. About six months ago I went to our local feed store and what do you know, they had BEW Beverens! Of course I had to get one! :) Picked out a doe and her first time showing she won RIS! She was just a JR at the time as well. But currently she has been having seizures, and I'm guessing it's the way she has been bred. I can't find anything about the breeder! She lives happily in the house and hasn't had a seizure for about a week. They aren't extreme and last about 10 seconds, after wards she is perfectly fine. She is currently retired from showing.

I saw a few Cinnamons for sale and they were just a spur of the moment type. I liked Cinnamons because they were another rarer breed and nobody had them in WA state. I got my pair from Montana and just love them! I'm attracted to the rarer breeds because nobody else has them and they aren't that popular making it funner to exhibit them at shows and give people more information about them. Their color is so beautiful as well :)

Heartlandrabbitry wrote:
I chose Cremes because nobody barely has any where I live, I'm the main Creme breeder in WA state. I wanted a breed that nobody else had in my area, I liked being different. Once I won RIS with my first Creme doe, it was love. I was given a trio of does from the lady that I received my first doe from and then it grew from there. I currently have 12 (or so) Cremes and they are my main breed. I have done very well with them and I just love working with them as well. :)

Since I had Cremes, I needed Champagnes as well! They are a very pretty breed and seem to stand out more then my Cremes. People usually double take when the see the Champagnes because of their beautiful color. I only have four Champagnes right now because my main focus is Cremes but I'm expecting a litter in a few days, I want to expand my Champagne herd a little bit.

Beverens were always my favorite. I never could find any around my area so I started up with my Cremes first. About six months ago I went to our local feed store and what do you know, they had BEW Beverens! Of course I had to get one! :) Picked out a doe and her first time showing she won RIS! She was just a JR at the time as well. But currently she has been having seizures, and I'm guessing it's the way she has been bred. I can't find anything about the breeder! She lives happily in the house and hasn't had a seizure for about a week. They aren't extreme and last about 10 seconds, after wards she is perfectly fine. She is currently retired from showing.

I saw a few Cinnamons for sale and they were just a spur of the moment type. I liked Cinnamons because they were another rarer breed and nobody had them in WA state. I got my pair from Montana and just love them! I'm attracted to the rarer breeds because nobody else has them and they aren't that popular making it funner to exhibit them at shows and give people more information about them. Their color is so beautiful as well :)
i've never heard of any of those breeds, could you possibly post pictures?

I got my bunny from bunnybuddies.org rescue. She's a holland lop I believe. She actually found me by nibbling on my foot during one of bunnybuddies' adoption days. She's my first bunny and has an aggressive/assertive personality, quite sassy really but I still love her. She came with the name Smokey Mocha but that was a mouthful so I renamed her Momo, which means peaches in Japanese. :inlove:

Initially (many many years ago) I got into showing/breeding rabbits through an old-time rabbit breeder who had some of the smaller breeds in his herd. He specialized in black and tans, and he also had some Netherlands and a few black Polish. Then one summer he came back from a show in the States with the most beautiful blue-eyed white Polish I'd ever seen, and he sold her to me. I asked him to keep an eye out for a male bew Polish if he ever travelled south again, and a few months later he obliged, returning with a very handsome male. As it turned out (as I learned once I began showing my bunnies) I was the owner of the very first blue-eyed white Polish anywhere in the Province; perhaps even the entire east coast of Canada. That little breed just stole my heart, and they were always a hit at every show I entered.

However, I did tend to favor larger breeds of rabbits, and the one breed that really caught my eye was the English lop. Their beautiful, long draping ears, the shapes of their heads, those soulful large eyes, and, from what I'd read about them, their wonderful personalities...how I wanted to own one of them! But they too, were as scarce as hens' teeth where I lived, and even if they had been available, I just didn't have room for such a large rabbit. So the closest I ever got to one was through pictures in books.

Fast forward to umpteen-dozen years later, and (finally!) I had the opportunity to get an English lop, the breed I'd lusted over for so long. Raph came to me via Air Canada from a breeder in the province, and when he arrived, it was the first time I'd even seen a real, honest-to-goodness live English lop. And one look into those beautiful brown eyes of his, and of course...my heart melted.

Now I have two rabbits living with me: Anna, who is an agouti bunny of no known heritage, and Yofi, my second English lop. Raph had only lived for a couple of years; he was the result of terrible breeding practices and unfortunately, he had paid the price with multiple structural imperfections that left him paralyzed once he'd passed his first birthday. I became not just a bunny owner after that; I became his caregiver, his guardian from anything that might cause him difficulty or harm, and he in turn became my mentor...my *Buddah in a bunny suit*. I learned more about myself, and about life, from that one beautiful creature than I would probably learn in a lifetime.

Today, Yofi is Raph's legacy for me...after Raph's passing I felt *lead* to find Yofi...and he is the ultra-personification of all things e-lop. His curiosity (and ability to cause trouble) knows no boundaries; his unending appetite keeps me constantly going, making sure food dishes are well-stocked (but not overflowing, lest he become too rotund); and his natural good looks allow him to repeatedly get away with murder. So I guess for me, I initially chose *my breed* based upon what I'd read about, but ultimately, it all really began with a big blue English lop named Raph, a magnificent creature who was more a spiritual mystic than he ever was a rabbit.

I sat with several different breeds of bunnies before I chose Noelle, a mini lop. I didn't pick her based on her breed or her looks, but based on her personality. :)

maxysmummy wrote:
Heartlandrabbitry wrote:

i've never heard of any of those breeds, could you possibly post pictures?
Sorry for the late reply :)

Here's one of my Creme D'Argent does

30250_120207361348162_103647186337513_109416_3525154_n.jpg

My Cinnamon buck

67548_155158991186332_103647186337513_234558_6565066_n.jpg

My Champagne D'Argent buck

163700_168564133179151_103647186337513_294442_3688342_n.jpg

And my Beveren doe :)

36246_170487409653490_103647186337513_304328_6833592_n.jpg

A friend of mine needed to find a new home for her bunny, and I told her I would take her, so didnt really have a choice in the breed, she happened to be a mini Rex ^^. I chose Martie based on how the initial bunny date went when I wanted to get a bunny for Jezz, and I also wanted a mini, so it just worked out :p

Latest posts

Back