How did i get otter babies???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunniesohmy

Reaction score
quick question..i have an English angora/holland lop mix that was bred to a REW jersey woolly. They produced otters. How did this happen, genetically speaking? I'm assuming the jw is responsible for the otter pattern but I was wondering what you guys thought.

Actually both Hollands and angoras can come in otter. You did not specify what color the mix was.

Stewart was a gorgeous Black Otter that was an accidental breeding of broken brown Netherland and a Palomino Lop. He was the only otter out of the 4 in the litter, so I guess the gene was lurking in there. Nikki is a REW and is the only one out of three litters from the same mother and father and neither are REW's. Genetics can be a high numbers crapshoot.

REW can hide the tan pattern (otter) gene. Tan pattern is more common in Jersey Woolies than Hollands (not recognized in English Angoras), so it likely came from the Wooly.

Definitely more common in woolies but I've seen otter Hollands. Especially since the wooly is REW he's probably carrying black otter

Latest posts

Back