How common is stasis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double N

Reaction score
Is this something that happens frequently? Or is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

I see a lot about it and just wonder if this is a common thing that will eventually happen to your rabbit.

I think the reason you see it a lot on here is because people only post about it when it happens. This forum has MANY members and even more rabbits. The forum just makes it seem comman, or so I believe.

It usually comes with illness/pain/an upset and you can not know when any little thing is going to happen that will cause it. You just have to be ready for it and tackle it as soon as it starts.

I really think that stasis is fairly common but that if you know the warning signs it can oftenbe nipped in the bud.
When a rabbit is going through a shed always brush and remove as much fur as you can throughout the molt. This oftentimes prevents the ingestion of a lot of hair.

Alway make sure your rabbit has access to fresh water and quality hay

if your rabbit shows any slowdown in appetite or pooping often you can hydrate the bun, give simethicone and pedialyte ..maybe some benebac, catch the problem right away and resolve it.
A rabbit is one animal that you can never turn your back on. Rabbits need careful observation of bothintake and output and /or any other signs that something is not right ....

I have had my two rabbits for about 4 years now. I have only dealt with one bout of stasis and that was brought on from antibiotics.

Certain breeds or individuals seem to be more prone to stasis. I see it a lot in my barn because Dwarf Hotots are more prone to stasis, while I rarely see it in the other breeds we've had. Because the causes of stasis vary widely, incidence in individuals can be widely varied.

Pam

I have not had full blown stasis in my 2.5 years of having bunnies, but I have seen it A LOT on here. It's the kind of thing you can try to prevent with brushing and good diet, and try to nip in the bud before it gets very serious.

Hazel is almost 7 now, and has only ever had one episode of stasis, when she was 6.
White Chocolate on the other hand used to have "slow down" episodes a few times each year, but they were easily cured, and she was over them in a few days.

tonyshuman wrote:
It's the kind of thing you can try to prevent with brushing and good diet,
Don't think I can stress this as much as it should be when talking about stasis. A good proper diet is essential to keeping rabbits health in check.

Yeah, I think it's definately because it's talked about on this forum that it's more "common" to your eye of knowledge;). After all, I never heard of it with my first rabbit, b/c I hadn't found this forum yet:(!!!

I've had 3 rabbits and none of them have had it unless there was an underlying medical issue, which I know has been mentioned as well resulting from this condition.

I know it can happen out of nowhere and that would be scarey! So, anyone having to deal with it, I give you kudos and push that hay!!:) -And hydration!

Okay...so it seems (as long as there are no other unknown health issues that may arrise) that as long as a proper diet is being fed, then you should be okay.

So a constant supply of hay, a little bit of high fiber/low protein pellets, green leafy veggies? Well...fresh water too, but that's a given!

Unfortunately, stasis is often more seasonally related than diet related. Viral and bacterial infections are often culprits although age and weight can play a role. It's impossible to prevent all cases of stasis through diet modification or grooming. Generally, wool blockages occur as a result of stasis - hair impacting in the GI systemwould rarely be thethe cause of stasis.

Pam

I think that it's best to know about it, prevent it as much as you can, and be prepared/know what to do in case it happens. Prevention can include diet, brushing, and keeping the rabbit as stress-free as possible, as a lot of times we see GI upset upon stress happening. If you don't go to shows or the shelter a lot, the chances of your bunny catching a virus or a super-bacteria infection are pretty low, although getting gut parasites can occur from carrying the eggs on your feet, so those are almost impossible to prevent.

Most often, it comes down to knowing what to do if you see something happening, like a slow down, and getting it under control without going to a vet (if at all possible). If you can't get it under control yourself, you need to know what the vet should or shouldn't do. For instance, hydration should be the #1 treatment, followed by gut motility drugs. Often a vet will immediately prescribe motility drugs while the rabbit is too dehydrated. I also hear a lot of bad stories where a vet decided it was time to operate to remove a blockage--this is very risky and has a very low chance of success, so it should be the absolute last option. Knowing these kind of things can help your bunny get through a stasis event.

tonyshuman wrote:
I think that it's best to know about it, prevent it as much as you can, and be prepared/know what to do in case it happens. Prevention can include diet, brushing, and keeping the rabbit as stress-free as possible, as a lot of times we see GI upset upon stress happening. If you don't go to shows or the shelter a lot, the chances of your bunny catching a virus or a super-bacteria infection are pretty low, although getting gut parasites can occur from carrying the eggs on your feet, so those are almost impossible to prevent.

Most often, it comes down to knowing what to do if you see something happening, like a slow down, and getting it under control without going to a vet (if at all possible). If you can't get it under control yourself, you need to know what the vet should or shouldn't do. For instance, hydration should be the #1 treatment, followed by gut motility drugs. Often a vet will immediately prescribe motility drugs while the rabbit is too dehydrated. I also hear a lot of bad stories where a vet decided it was time to operate to remove a blockage--this is very risky and has a very low chance of success, so it should be the absolute last option. Knowing these kind of things can help your bunny get through a stasis event.
:highfive:Absolutely! Great advice!:)

Latest posts

Back