How can you tell if a rabbit is going to have kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley Rose

Reaction score
I have a noregun dwarf and I don't know if she is going to have kits
or not. She won't let me touch her if I try to she will bite me. Her additude has changed a lot my dad has to get her out for me and if you feel her she is kind of fat.
So I try my hardest not to get bit but if I put my hand in there and try to reach for her and she will turn around and squeak it sounds kind pf like a ginua pig. So should I leave her alone and check on her every once in a while or should I keep on trying to get her out and see if her adittud changes because she acted like this the last time she had kits. Scamper has lost her brother samuel and a friend of hers named fuzzy and the last time she had kits she lost them all so Scamper lost a lot of things that were very important to her.:rabbithop:dutch

I think you mean "Netherland Dwarf".

It takes some practice and experience to be able to palpate a rabbit accurately. A change in disposition is not an accurate method of determining pregnancy ;)

Pam

First, I wouldn't recommend handling her if you think she's late inherpregnancy. Depending on how far she's come, you can hurther and the babieswith rough handling or if she struggles. Also, if she's not used to your dad, it can be kind of scarey to have big hands reached in your personal space to get you.

When was the last time she was in any contact with a buck? It could just be hormones that's making her territorial.

WhatI mean is, when was the last time she was in contact with a buck. In the same cage, and the possible chance that they could have mate. When was the lasttime for this?

They were never in a cage together but they are always with each other when they are running around.

We have had 3 males her brother her brothers friend and her boyfriend actuly scamper is already married to a buck named oliver.

Ok, well. It would be irresponsible to have an unaltered buck with a female, even for playing. As soon as Scamper has her litter and you have them out again, she'll become pregnant again.If you want them to be together, atleasat neuter the buck. Who knows when she could have been bred, hence not knowing the due date, then not knowing if she goes over.

I would'nt have her with the male until he atleast gets neutered..:?

I breed rabbits and I can tell you that they don't think about "marriage" or "boyfriend" the way we do. If she is out with a buck - she will mate...there is no getting around that. If the buck isn't neutered and she isn't neutered...they will mate (even brother and sister).

The most responsible thing to do for your rabbit is to NOT let her have free time with the bucks at all. She doesnt' see them as "friends" and they don't see her as "friends". They see each other as mates because that is what their genetic nature tells them they are.

Peg

Haley Rose wrote:
We have had 3 males her brother her brothers friend and her boyfriend actuly scamper is already married to a buck named oliver.

Right now it dosen't seem that scamper is in the mood to get out of her cage because she is always grumpy and if you stick your hand in her cage she willtry to bite you.:dutch

I don't really blame her :?. If I were to be taken out contstantly when I was pregnant to bebred I'd resist going too. Maybe just try leaving her alone for a few days. In the future, NEVER have her out with the bucks unless you get them altered.

odd when my doe was pregnant she let me pet her and pick her up...:bunnydance:

Well anyways if you could get her our just feel around lightly on her lower belly

if you feel lumps then you'll probably have a letter soon.:)

Haley's Dad here, Oliver and scamper have only been out once together (haley's mom nor I didn't know it took 30 seconds for rabbits to breed), She is not being taken out for breeding or to be put with any other rabbit's buck or doe... PLEASE REMEBERHALEY'S ONLY 8

For some reason I'm having problems with the quote function - ARG!

Anyway, I am a breeder and I have several does that are fine being handled when they are pregnant - and other does that just do NOT want to be touched. I've noticed that my does that grew up here....tend to let me handle them more and like it more - and the does I've brought into the rabbitry....prefer to be left alone. (It could be that I start handling my babies at birth....very carefully of course!).

So I guess it just depends upon the rabbit as to what they want...just like people!

:D

Peg

rabbit_whisperer wrote:
odd when my doe was pregnant she let me pet her and pick her up...:bunnydance:

Ohsorry! I'm just getting mixed messages, because I had the thought that they were out together always. She said in her past post that they've never been in the same cage, but are always out running around together. I got the thought that they were together often, causing the doe some stress.

Do you know when this time happend? This might help to estimate when around you could be expecting a litter. She could not be pregnant if it was only once though, that's why I was trying to find out how many times they've been together.

v5rocks wrote:
Haley's Dad here, Oliver and scamper have only been out once together (haley's mom nor I didn't know it took 30 seconds for rabbits to breed), She is not being taken out for breeding or to be put with any other rabbit's buck or doe... PLEASE REMEBERHALEY'S ONLY 8

Thank you Haley's dad :) Glad to see that she has a parent on the board to supervise.

Pam

Latest posts

Back