How can you find a place to buy a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend either a local animal shelter or a good breeder.

Buying from pet stores isn't always the greatest and many animals have health problems because the people stocking the store's supply breed without considering consequences.

My friend'srabbit she bought from a pet store has a bad genetic eye condition that she didn't know of. I'll never buy from places like PetCo unless i have tob/c i've seen how they handle their animals and how they try to sell animals and make excuses for the poor condition they're in.

A man tried selling my sister a hamster with wet tail and tried to pass it off as "a poopy bottom" that can easily be fixed with a bath---it was clearly not "a poopy bottom"!

BUT! There are exceptions to everything.

Ellie

A shelter or breeder seem like good ideas.

There's only one pet store I've found that I would highly recommend. It's in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia area). It's called Worldwide Aquarium and Pets. I bought Misty and Zeke there. Both are perfectly happy, well-socialized, and have never had any health problems! Misty is seven years-old and still kickin'! Also, this place keeps their rabbits in the back of the store, in an area that's not open to the public. You have to get the manager's permission to go back and look -- only if you're serious about buying one. They also treat the animals really well from what I've seen when I've been in there.

Erin

Haley, if your girl might be pregnant then it's not a good idea to get another bunny anytime soon. It would be better to get her to a vet to find out if she did actually get pregnant and have her and your other bunny spayed or neutered so you don't have to worry about accidental babies.:)

Wewent witha shelter for most recent bunny "Peanut". There are so many lovely bunnies that need a good loving forever home. Try the House Rabbit Society and find a local shelter. The foster homes take such good care of the buns and are trained to socalize the bunnies as well as help with bonding if you decide to adopt two.

I am jumping in here as a new member. I was glad to find the board.

Wewent witha shelter for most recent bunny "Peanut". There are so many lovely bunnies that need a good loving forever home. Try the House Rabbit Society and find a local shelter. The foster homes take such good care of the buns and are trained to socialize the bunnies as well as help with bonding if you decide to adopt two.

I am jumping in here as a new member. I was glad to find the board.

Christine

PS: most bunnies at shelters are already spayed/neutered. So you save a bunny's life AND you save yourself some big bucks not having to pay to have them fixed. Pet store bunnies are not usually spayed/neutered.

TrixieRabbit wrote:
PS: most bunnies at shelters are already spayed/neutered. So you save a bunny's life AND you save yourself some big bucks not having to pay to have them fixed. Pet store bunnies are not usually spayed/neutered.
:yeahthat

You can use Petfinder.com and locate bunnies in shelters in your area (got 3 of mine that way :D)

~Jim

Latest posts

Back