How can people move house and leave their animals behind

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@nermal71. That's why I said in my post that I know there are extenuating circumstances where people can't provide a home for their pet anymore. The tv example was directed towards people who abandon them because they tire of the work involved with their pet or that they just don't want it anymore.

I guess I have just seen so many animals at the shelter because people just don't want to deal with the logistical hasstles taking an animal with you when you move presents. It is just easier to get rid of the one they have and get a new one once they are settled. To me, there is a clear difference to me between the pair of rabbits that were given up because their person got cancer and the ones that were dumped due to moving.

Yes there can be circumstances but so many times it is lazyness, which in my book is not a good excuse.

I rented a van and we drove 12 hours strait thru to get our 17 bunnies here. The only animal we left behind was a feral cat we'd been feeding for 13 years. It would have to be indoors here and I'm allergic to cats--hospital time allergic. The person we sold the house to said she would keep feeding her. Plus the neighbor next door used to feed her--I think she had 5 or 6 total spots. I do miss her, my Koi pond, and our fruit trees.

It's just a sad life for a lot of animals out there...i guess i'm just to sensitive when it comes to animals.

I'm just mentioning about myself here...i could never just up and leave and leave behind or dump one of my pets.
Like i have said i do understand about some circumstances that people have to rehome their pet....it's the people that move leave their pet behind and those people just get on with their lives...don't they stop to think..ohh gee how is this animal gonna feed itself...these people go home sit down have their tea and think nothing about that animal which is all alone.....because they are probably thinking someone will come along and rescue it...i have a problem with that..

I have heard to many stories about people leaving their pets behind....sometimes the animal is found to late and it died from starvation....what about the people who don't give a crap about their bunnies sitting in a cage...just waiting to be fed...a lot of times there will be a bunny that survives and his mate has died in the cage...cause he couldn't stand being hungry anymore..that's not nice for someone to find..

I speak for the one's that cannot speak for themselves..

LakeCondo wrote:
In the little town near me, the Post Office employees came in one morning & found a cat had been shoved through a PO Box.

Oh my freakin gosh..how cruel can people be..

Abandoning a pet and re-homing are two very different things.

I dont understand the mentality of getting rid of a pet (because its easier) and then replacing it once your moved into a new place with another one. I mean really???? You have a bond with that pet and a responsibility to that pet (any animal you bring into your home) and to me there IS NO EXCUSE to leave an animal behind in an empty building left to fend for itself until some unexpecting person comes along (hopefully before its too late) and steps in to do the right thing.

To me a pet is the same thing as a child. They are unable to care for themselves. Ultimately you are responsible, no excuses. In my life I have had to move, I have lost a job and have gone through a divorce all without abandoning my pets.

luvthempigs wrote:
Abandoning a pet and re-homing are two very different things.

I dont understand the mentality of getting rid of a pet (because its easier) and then replacing it once your moved into a new place with another one. I mean really???? You have a bond with that pet and a responsibility to that pet (any animal you bring into your home) and to me there IS NO EXCUSE to leave an animal behind in an empty building left to fend for itself until some unexpecting person comes along (hopefully before its too late) and steps in to do the right thing.

To me a pet is the same thing as a child. They are unable to care for themselves. Ultimately you are responsible, no excuses. In my life I have had to move, I have lost a job and have gone through a divorce all without abandoning my pets.

Yep..i agree...when you take in an animal..you have to be responsible....that animal cannot talk..and say please don't leave me behind...your my family.....take me with you...so so sad..

Sadly, abandoning a pet in a home happens more than you would like to think. One would hope that the person could at least make an anonymous phone call to someone that could go and rescue them. We have taken a lot of rabbits that have been found that way. Some have been too late to save. It's an all too common problem in today's economy. At least take the pets to your local humane society. At the worst, they won't be starved to death.

I agree Patti..it's not hard to make a phone call for the animals sake....come on how can someone just leave and don't look back..obviously they have no guilty conscience..how can someone let an animal go hungry...hurts my heart just thinking about it..

It is a testimonial of a throwaway society, people not raised to take responsability for their actions and commitments. Both of my dog's are strays from sheriff's "pounds" Both were added to the family just days before they would have been puy down. I prefer to go there when looking to add another member to the mix. (so far 5 people, 2 dogs, 2 ducks, 1 cat, and 11 pond goldfish).
My one irratation is with some of the shelters. Some have adoption fees that range up to $400.00. Looking at it financially I can get a breed from a reputable breeder for less. The statement about surrender fees is also insane. okay enough ranting.

Our first cat was abandoned when the previous tenants of the house we rented moved. It was December and the left her outside by herself. My husband swore he hated cats and didn't want her to hang around. My grandma bought her food and we put a cardboard box out on the porch with a blanket, food and water (turned to where the wind wouldn't whip through it). Every time the door opened the cat ran in and went straight to the spot in front of the furnace. I kept taking her back outside but hated it. I came home one day to find her inside. I started to scoot her out when I realized my husband was stretched out on the couch watching me. He said "she can stay, her name is Puddin" and that was that.

MyJuneAngel wrote:
Our first cat was abandoned when the previous tenants of the house we rented moved. It was December and the left her outside by herself. My husband swore he hated cats and didn't want her to hang around. My grandma bought her food and we put a cardboard box out on the porch with a blanket, food and water (turned to where the wind wouldn't whip through it). Every time the door opened the cat ran in and went straight to the spot in front of the furnace. I kept taking her back outside but hated it. I came home one day to find her inside. I started to scoot her out when I realized my husband was stretched out on the couch watching me. He said "she can stay, her name is Puddin" and that was that.

That made me cry... What a sweet guy! My hubby hates cats lol we had a stray hanging around our house last winter... She would always run in our garage when it opened... I let her stay in there to get out from the cold... But he wouldn't let me feed her... Well sadly she got hit by a car a few weeks later and my husband saw it happen! He called me hysterical and he scooped her up and rushed her to the vets... She didn't make it, but he paid to have her cremated and we have her ashes sitting on the self with our other pets! He said he didn't want her to just be thrown away... :(

My mom used to be a real estate agent... Oh the stories one would hear from her and her co-workers! Like the time she walked into a vacant house with her clients, only to find cat poo ALL OVER THE FLOOR. There were three cats left there, if I remember correctly. I don't know how they could do that. Do they not know that cats can feel? They at least have to acknowledge the fact that cats can starve... People are sick.

A couple years ago we started feeding a cat outside when his owner moved out next door and left him. Unfortunately we couldn't get our hands on him. We set up a hide box so he could get out of the snow and wind, food, and water.

Unfortunately we are pretty sure a fox ended up taking him. He just dissapeared one day. :(

Latest posts

Back