How can I tell if my buns are cold?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
We live in a climate with the average year-round temp being 60 degrees, and only fluctuating +/- 10 to 15. Currently it is about 50 degrees outside and foggy.

My buns live in a fully enclosed and roofed patio. The room is carpeted and they have a large hutch full of blankets and beds, but the room is not insulated and only has screen on the tiny windows at the very top of the wall.

During the day, we keep the door open so they can run outside into the fenced garden when they want to.

Today they are both snuggled up together inside their hutch on top of a thick fleece blanket. I'm thinking they look a little chilly. There is no wind, so nothing is blowing on them.

What is the coldest temp a bun can comfortably tolerate? I do have an inside pen and can bring them into the house (which isn't much warmer, this house is really old and somewhat drafty) but they HATE being inside with a passion.

I'm sure they are fine. If it is a damp/foggy day they probably just want to snuggle up and stay warm. I think rabbits tend to hunker down when the weather isn't nice, even my indoor bunnies do it so it must be instinct. Rabbits tollerate the cold much better than the heat.

^^Yeah that doubled! :) lol

My bunnies have all been outdoor and do fine. In the dead of winter we turn on a heat light kinda thing in their cage and they always have lots of hay. They do fine.
50 degrees isn't in my oppinion to cold at all. My bunnies definitly have been in cooler weather. As long as they aren't little baby bunnies or anything, and have hay etc. I think its fine.

No worries, your bunnies are fine. Rabbits tolerate cold weather much better than warm. With their fur coat and naturally warmer body temperature they are practically made for chilly temperatures. I've read they can tolerate temperatures in the 30's *F and even below that, so long as they are protected from the elements. A good way to check if your rabbit is having a body temperature problem is to feel the ears. If they are shockingly cold then something is wrong. I had the awful experience in the past of touching the ears of a lethargic and ill bunny that was dying. His ears were very cold.

Thanks everyone. The buns have very warm ears, so I guess they were just snuggling!

I've always considered their ideal temperature to be around 65. Just offer them some kind of enclosed box where they can get out of drafts and otherwise I wouldn't worry about the temperature too much. They definitely can tolerate cold better than heat as long as it isn't a sudden change.

Latest posts

Back