How can I clean Harpers anal glands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
How do you Flemish giant owners clean out anal glands? Harper is starting to stink and I just don't know how I can clean them. I'm scared of just picking her up. How am I gonna pick her up and turn her over with out hurting her?

I usually check and clean when clipping nails. My son holds them upright and I do the dirty work. I had the vet tech show me how to do nails and clean them. Is she neutered?

Once she is neutered she will be less fragrant. I just use my fingers and remove any of the crud I find. Some use cotton and mineral oil, but I've never had a problem doing it digitally and then soap and water as your fingers will smell a bit. Any time you go to the vet bring a list of questions so you don't forget. I'll also call them on the phone too if it's something simple.

Anal gland cleaning instructions can be found here... as for how to flip a Flemish, I imagine you'd do it the same way you'd flip any other rabbit - we have a 16 lb cat and I flip him for nail trims as easily as I do my dwarf bunnies. I just flipped him over a couple times (he was not pleased!) so that I could consciously note exactly how I do it... hopefully I can explain it well (reverse everything if you're left-handed, by the way):
~ Place right hand under the center of the bunny's chest
~ Place left hand on her butt and position your left arm so that it's parallel to her back/spine
~ In one swift move (seriously, as quickly as possible - the aim is to catch her off guard), lift her by the chest and scoop her butt under/flip her chest over so that she lands upside down with your left arm beneath her. Minimize the opportunity to kick and range of motion she can kick through if she gets one in by positioning the upper part of your right arm across her feet ASAP (the danger in flipping a bunny is that they can seriously injure themselves if they kick their back legs full-force into open air/through the entire range of motion).

I recommend sitting on her level (ie sit on the floor if she's on the floor, sit on the bed if she's on the bed, etc. - Roo is on our bed right now (which is just a mattress and box springs on the ground - no frame). I picked him up once while standing over the bed and once while sitting on the bed; when I was standing, his feet were free for a split second but when I was sitting cross-legged, I found I could get my arm over his feet the moment they were off the ground.

I also have a Flemish Giant, and I can get him flipped over.... But my problem is that as soon as I move my hand off of his chest he wants to jump up. So it's nearly impossible to trim nails much less clean anal glands. My kids are afraid to really help with holding because they don't want to hurt him and he will bite every now and then.

I was also told that with that cleaning of the anal glands.... They should take care of that themselves. But that having them spayed/neutered also helps. Sulley is getting neutered tomorrow! Hope it helps! He also sprays EVERYWHERE!!!

I do bunny burrito with Twigs with him all wrapped up I'll clip his back feet and while his butt is near the opening I clean his glands. I use water and cotton swabs. But then Twigs is only like 4.5 lbs so I have no idea if that would work with a Flemish.

I understand how to clean anal glands it's just the position and way of holding her I need advice on. I've done it with my small rabbits.

Back