How breed are my rabbits (and how big will they get?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbodub_6

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and to rabbit ownership. I've been reading a lotof books, surfing plenty of websites and browsing these forums to makesure I'm ready to be a rabbit-parent.

Anyways, me and my girlfriend have adopted two rabbits (the two on theleft of the picture) which will join us at our new apartment in lateaugust. Until then, a lady from the rabbit rescue is bunny-sitting themfor us.

We think that the rabbits are somewhere between 3-5 months old, and areabout 2 pounds right now. The male hasn't "dropped" yet, if that helpsto decifer age a little.

So, can anyone tell me what breed they are? I'd assume that they areeither mini or holland lops. Also, any estimations on how big they willgrow to be?

Thanks for your help guys. Glad to be part of the forum!

Cheers

Roger

BAH! Just noticed that my topic title is bad english! Ah, that's one of my pet peeves...sorry all.

Cute buns! I'm not the one to tell youwhat breed they are. Others here are more adept at doingthat, but if mini-lops you can expect them to reach 5 - 7 lbs atmaturity. Holland lops, maybe 3 - 5 lbs or so. Allbuns are individuals, so don't hold to those numbers as gospel, just areasonable guesstimation.

Buck

Hello Roger,

Buck's guess is IMPO right on the Money. They look like Mini lops tome. Also judging from your weight description that would fit the bill.Have you learned how to sex rabbits yet? I would venture a guess [sightunseen] that they are two Does. Though some Bucks will drop late. Iwould keep a close eye and if you are planing to Bond them and housethem together in the same cage I would make planns to ave them Spayedand or neutered ASAP. Accidents are not a good thing! When bunnies comeof age they can be vicious combatants. A rabbit battle is not a prettysight and one or both could be injured beyond saving. They dolook nice.

Dennis,C.V.R.:D

Roger,

Beautiful bunnies! My daughter has a 10 week old French Lopthat's already bigger than those LOL The French are certainlyhomely at that age :p

The colors from left to right look like blue, opal andchinchilla. Since the male hasn't descended, I'm guessingthey are closer to 3 months old, so probably Minis. OurHolland Lops (the smallest lop breed) generally weigh 3 - 3 1/2 poundsby 5-6 months of age. Because of the colors, it's more likelyyou have Minis, and by weight they must be very young.

"BAH! Just noticed that my topic title is bad english! Ah, that's one of my pet peeves...sorry all."

Are you a teacher? I homeschool 3 of my kids :)

Pam

Thanks for the replies guys.

A lady from the adoption agency is actually taking care of thesebunnies for me until my girlfriend and I move into our new apartment.That won't until the end of august, and I can't wait to see my bunnies!

We know that their mother was about 4 pounds (a holland I assume), butwe have no idea what, or how big, their father was. So I may have amini/holland mix, or something different altogether. The rabbits wererescued from a shelter, so we don't know much about their age or breedor such.

The leftmost rabbit is a girl, and the middle rabbit is a boy. We arehaving them both spayed/neutered as soon as they're ready. They aregoing to live in the same cage together (they're actuallylitter-mates), so we aren't taking any chances.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome guys. I've been surfing this board tokeep myself from going insane with anticipation for my rabbits.

Pamnock: No, I'm not a teacher, I'm actually a college student, working on my BS/MS in industrial engineering.

Cheers

Roger

Here's another pic...

awww! they're SO cute! who cares what breed theyare, they're SO CUTE!!!! just kidding...you probably want toknowanyway, right(so u have the right to brag about them likeproud bunny parents)LOL!:D

Welcome to the forum! Its a great place! :D

The rabbits are adorable!! The picture could be put on a calendar!!

Siobhan xxx

Welcome Roger,

Before you wisk your rabbit off to be spayed and/or neutered, you'reprobably aware that they should be at least 4 months of age or older.Some vets even think 4 months is a bit young and wish to wait to the5th or 6th month. That said, at 12 weeks old, they are able toreproduce.

It sounds like they're in good hands with the lady who's sitting them now.

They really are beautiful bunnies. The picture looks like you had it done professionally.

-Carolyn

Thanks alot for the warm welcome guys!

The lady bunny-sitting for me gave me the pictures, so I'm not sure howshe managed to get such great ones. I wouldn't worry too much aboutthem reproducing just yet, the bunny sitter is pretty knowledgeable onthe situation, and sounds like she has everything under-control. Ibelieve they have an appointment to meet the vet next week.

Anyways, thanks again for the welcome; I really appreciate it. Sounds like my little bunnies are also supermodels. :D

Cheers

Roger

I agree, Roger. I think the bunny sitter is most capable of watching for all the signs.

Just wanted you to know so that you weren't thinking that ASAP wascrucial as there are timeframes for such things. It seems as if you aremost aware and have certainly done your homework.

Glad you have stumbled upon us.

-Carolyn

Back