How big should he be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maria117

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a buck (Jackie Chan) that we rescued at 4 weeks old (he was rejected by his mommy). We were really scared we weren't going to be enough for him but against the odds, he is now a healthy, happy, 3 month old rabbit. We were told he's a mini rex but he does not have the rex coat. He almost 3 pounds at 3 months and I was wondering if anyone had any thought as to what breed he might be? I think he looks mostly like a cinnamon but I would think at 3 months he would be bigger. I'm assuming he's a mix. It doesn't really matter what breed he is since I will love him either way, but I'm wondering how big I should expect him to be. He's already bonded with my 7 month old Doe (spayed) and she's a Polish/Netherland Dwarf mix so I don't want him to get too much bigger for her sake.

Just interested in your thoughts! Thanks for reading!

Maria :bunnybutt:

10413311_10204995890040436_5075809686041402948_n.jpg

10670262_10204999340646699_769662431918717018_n.jpg

Last edited:
based on those ears... he'll mostly likely hit 7-10 pounds. Wow.. is he ever pretty. I'd want that in my rabbitry. :)

That said.. he's three months and I can't judge him in person... if he's three pounds at three months he mostly likely will hit 6-7 lbs.

you can't count on baby bonds holding through maturity... so you'll want to look to neuter him when he's 4-5 months old and size doesn't much matter then. Rabbits manage size issues quite easily.

Ours are all rescues, so it's hard to say. Serena was supposed to be an english spot mix, so we thought she was full grown--she was 7 pounds and very skinny. We later found out she was a Checkered Giant as she got bigger and bigger and filled out nicely, just shy of 20 pounds. She doesn't get along with any of our others though and never did.

That's a good point about the baby bonds, but I don't think that's what this is. My little girl really hated him the first month, they've only been together for just about a month now. He's definitely sexually mature. He tries to make baby bunnies (we keep telling him it won't work but he just won't listen). Can you tell how big they'll be based on the size of their ears?

Thanks for the replies :)

Ours are all rescues, so it's hard to say. Serena was supposed to be an english spot mix, so we thought she was full grown--she was 7 pounds and very skinny. We later found out she was a Checkered Giant as she got bigger and bigger and filled out nicely, just shy of 20 pounds. She doesn't get along with any of our others though and never did.

Do you know about how old she was when you rescued her?

Ear size can give a general indication of how big a rabbit will end up being, but not specifically. I would also guess that he'll end up at around 6 pounds though, as from when Bandit was about 12 weeks old, he doubled in weight to his full adult size.

That's a good point about the baby bonds, but I don't think that's what this is. My little girl really hated him the first month, they've only been together for just about a month now. He's definitely sexually mature. He tries to make baby bunnies (we keep telling him it won't work but he just won't listen). Can you tell how big they'll be based on the size of their ears?

Thanks for the replies :)
Be careful - the doe might get upset with him if he keeps trying to hump her and she doesn't like it!

I introduced my two together just after my buck was neutered, and my doe was 7-8 weeks old, so not sexually matured yet. They bonded quickly and easily, and thankfully their bond remained intact after she became mature (despite a massive personality change) and after her spay, so it's not unheard of. :)

She already put him in his place about it ;) thank you for the advice! 🐰

Latest posts

Back