Housing in Barn

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I know that a lot of people house their bunsoutside, but I was wondering about housing in a barn. Shawnand I put in a bid on a house today, well it is actually afarm. The barn has 6 stalls, but 3 are taken by horse borders(they all have contracts and we would take them over). Weplan on getting horses of our own, but probably only 2. I'vebeen thinking of getting a flemish (my aunt and uncle raised them whenI was growing up and I miss those big guys :)). Anyway, I waswondering about housing him/her in the extra stall. I wasthinking I could probably modify it so a hutch wouldn't benecessary. The floors are cement, but the barn is heated andair conditioned. The big doors to the entire barn are alwaysclosed and there are doors which are 1/2 wood and 1/2 bars on theindividual stalls...I would cover the wood with Plexiglas all aroundwhere the bun could reach to keep it from chewing. Anyway,does this sound feasible to anyone???

Thanks,

Jen

I haven't tried the barn thing as we don't haveone yet either. I think it's feasible. If you thinkas you would housing it inside, there shouldn't be a problem.You seem to be doing that. As long as nothing can get in.....over the top..... cause regardless of doors being closed, etc.. thingslike cats and coons always manage to find a way in.

Maybe you could put some screaning over the top? the large squares likechicken wire? Or even make a sort of cage in half the stallwhere you could walk in the stall door and the other half is coveredand protected.

I hope you get the farm.... I want one too :(

The shelter in Rhode Island that Christineadopted her rabbits from, Sweet Binks, houses all of their bunnies in aconverted barn. They had three or four stalls, with about7cages in them each. They'd rotate the bunnies so each bunny or pair ofbunnies got to run around the stall for the day. It seemed to work outreally well, theycovered the cement floors with straw and itreally gave the rabbits a lot of space to run around in, with nice highwalls that prevented any chance of escape. Also, with the large area,you could set up bales and boxes and tubes, and all sorts of fun thingsto play on and in.

I think it sounds like a great idea, I'd totally do it if I had the opportunity! :)

I didn't even think of cats or coons.Silly me...I have cats, but they get along with the buns, so I guess Idon't worry about them. There are barn cats and lots ofwoods, so probably lots of coons. I'm sure I could come upwith something for the top and probably across the bars too, I'm notsure about the distance between them, but I wouldn't want to take anychances.

Thanks for the help!

Jen

Theres more rabbit breeders then you would thinkthat house their rabbits in an extra horse stall. It sounds like agreat idea to me just as long as you make a way that the horeses can'taccess the rabbit(s). You'd want to have a fan running for themtoo.I like the protection wire idea. ;)

Wow that's great! Good luck on the house, that sounds like fun, I had no idea you could buy a house with that type of contract.

Megan

cirrustwi wrote:
Ididn't even think of cats or coons. Silly me...I have cats,but they get along with the buns, so I guess I don't worry aboutthem. There are barn cats and lots of woods, so probably lotsof coons. I'm sure I could come up with something for the topand probably across the bars too, I'm not sure about the distancebetween them, but I wouldn't want to take any chances.

Thanks for the help!

Jen
Yeah and oppossum. They might not bother the bunnies, but you just don't know. Coons can be mean!

We've dealt with coons, cats, birds, etc. in my inlaws barn foryears.... Heck! we had a coon living in the eaves of our garage lastspring! :X

We house both our rabbits in the barn. Generally,coons and 'possums don't come into our barns, the occasional hungry'possum will. We've not had a problem but they live in a tamper-proofchicken room. I think it's a great idea, as horse stalls are roomy, andthe cement will generate it's own sort of "air-conditioner."

Ellie

This is off of subject but BrambleBriar86I was wondering what kind of rabbit that is inthe picture by your name? It is just adorable and I have a male thatlooks just like it.

Tina

Here's photos of that shelter in Rhode Island, to give you an idea of what they've done with their barn:

http://www.rirabbits.org/new/shelter/shelter.html

bunland5.jpg

"The walk-way with bun sections on right. Bunland is heated with a woodpellet stove, and ventilated through several ceiling ducts. Airconditioned for the summer also. The slanted wood part is a largestorage area."

bunland2.jpg

"Bunland has three living sections (12’ x 14’) which houseapproximately 8 - 10 buns each, and two smaller sections 14’ x 6’ fornew arrivals (un-spayed females and one for un-neutered males). Thereis also a quarantine area for new rabbits with various medical issuesto be treated before entering the main rabbit living sections.

"Each bun section has a basement hopper window, which the buns love!Also, skylights and many windows for a great source of natural light,and for basking in the sun!"

Latest posts

Back