Housing ideas!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
I'm planning on bringing my bunny inside within the next few weeks. I live with my parents so I don't have a lot of room. My question is, does he need a cage? Or can he just be in my bedroom & maybe have a cage or enclosure to go in at night? I don't have a lot of extra room to set something up so I'm just looking for ideas!

Also, after he's neutered & I litter box train him will he still poop everywhere?

It'd probably be a good idea to get him an enclosure overnight or when you're not around, just so you know he's safe. Apart from that, you could let him free roam around your room, as long as you bun-proof it (cover/move all cables from his reach, make sure nothing inedible is within his reach, etc). :)

I consider my two to be litter box trained, and they still leave a few poops around. Bunnies poop so much it's hard to expect them to get them all neatly into their box. It's not too bad - you could probably just sweep them up every day or two and not really notice much of a difference.

Yes, a cage/pen/enclosure for overnight and when you're not around is very important. Having a cosy home base to go back to is reassuring for a bunny. And never underestimate a bunny's ability to get into trouble when you're not looking!

I believe one of the members on here had her bunny totally free-range in her home, and one morning as she woke up and got out of bed, she accidentally stepped on him and injured him (luckily he recovered). But that would be a terrible experience, and knowing that my bunnies are safely locked away during moments when I'm not focused on where they are is a huge comfort!

My pooper LOVES being a Free Bun..
We didn't cage her when we got her and we currently live in a small 1 bd apartment. She has certain places she goes to relax, as well as my fiancé build her her own "Pepsi's House" that we leave the door open at all times so she can get used to it without fear of being locked in, then once we move she may be able to handle the door closed.
In Pepsi's House, is her blanket and a litter box, but when I tried to put her in with food & water then closed the door to see what she'd do, she threw her bowls all around, so I will have to get her a water bottle (if she remember's how to use it from the pet store) so she doesn't soak her space.

Even though she is litter box trained, it is only really the pee that is considered litter trained, and daily I pick up the poops around the living room.

Kismet and my guinea pigs have their own room. I have a pen set up for Kismet made out of the NIC but I leave the door open all the time. She's really good with her litter box and she doesn't seem to chew anything other then her toys. The only time I close her in her pen is when I want to give my piggies some time out of their enclosure which is also made out of the NIC.

Back