Housing during early bonding stages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goneforbaroque

Reaction score
Right now I have my 2 buns (both fixed) in x-pens. Same set up in both. There is a 4 inch gap between the sides to prevent nipping. My boy bunny (whom I've had longer) keeps rushing to the shared side whenever my girl bunny (new) hops around. He boxes at the barrier and sometimes chases her to the litter boxes.

When they go on dates, they cuddle and he grooms her and everything is fine.

What does this mean and is there a way I can entourage him to stop?

Maybe he just wants to play/chase her? Or it could be his hormones/territorial-ness over the cage has yet to subside. My rabbits live in a shared-wall xpen and don't nip at each other. I do catch them grooming one another but never nipping/chasing.

Can you switch them from cage to cage to make both cages smell like both of them?

It sounds like he is being territorial to me. I don't think boxing really sounds too much like playing. I think it just might be foreshadowing that he is going to take a while to get used to the idea of another rabbit being in his cage.

I do think it will go away as the bond grows, especially if they get along well out of the cage. If you havent already I would totally wash everything that was in his cage and start switching them back and forth.

I trade litter boxes every day and their pens every 2 days. He's been doing it less so I'm hoping it will go away eventually. Never a dull moment when bonding!

Latest posts

Back