Housing a free range and the new bun while bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nataly

Reaction score
I got my bun girl from the humane society. She is spayed, 7 months old, Flemish Giant mix. I tried to lock her up in her puppy pen but she would rattle it, so we just let her free roam from then on (5 months) in our apartment.

We want to get her a husbun.

Should I start locking her up so I can keep them in cages beside each other 5 inches apart? I know she will protest against being locked up and since i'm home all day she will keep on getting upset.

She spends probably 70% of the time in the living room.
OR I could put the new bun in the bedroom (after a thorough cleaning) and put a baby gate at the door so they could still see each other through it. And bond them in the bathtub/bathroom? And put their dishes/toilets beside the gate?
Eventually I could also block out a piece of the living room connecting to the bedroom with a puppy pen spread longways so there is more interaction between them.

I got my bun girl from the humane society. She is spayed, 7 months old, Flemish Giant mix. I tried to lock her up in her puppy pen but she would rattle it, so we just let her free roam from then on (5 months) in our apartment.

We want to get her a husbun.

Should I start locking her up so I can keep them in cages beside each other 5 inches apart? I know she will protest against being locked up and since i'm home all day she will keep on getting upset.

She spends probably 70% of the time in the living room.
OR I could put the new bun in the bedroom (after a thorough cleaning) and put a baby gate at the door so they could still see each other through it. And bond them in the bathtub/bathroom? And put their dishes/toilets beside the gate?
Eventually I could also block out a piece of the living room connecting to the bedroom with a puppy pen spread longways so there is more interaction between them.

The baby gate idea is a really good idea and works with lots of other animals, like cats and dogs. You might consider putting the litter boxes near there too, but I doubt a spayed rabbit will mark like an unspayed rabbit will. I had an unspayed female that would pee on doorways to 'keep people out' and it stopped ones I put litterpans in the doorways temporarily. Anyway, separating them by a baby gate first is a really good idea. I'd recommend 72hrs quarantine beforehand though.

Latest posts

Back