Houseproofing 100%?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedtheflame

Reaction score
I recently moved to a new place last month, and i now have a large livingroom for my bunny to run around in. i want to let her have free run of the house whenever im home.

what do you guys do about things like the tv area with the cords? and i understand she might go and wreak something, thats part of having a house bunny, but how far do i need to go to 'proof everything?

Also cus the landlord only let me bring my bunny cus i said "it'll stay in the cage all the time" so i really need to be careful about her chewing up carpet or baseboards...

For cords you could get some vinyl tubing (they sell it at Home Depot) and split it and put the cord through it. You could also block off sections of the room/furniture that you do not want the bunny geting into. As far as the carpet goes, I have herd that you can spray it with perfume every couple of weeks and that will stop it. If you find that she is destroying a sertain area, you could put cardboard down and giver her something to destroy instead (like a phone book). You could also place a dig/litter box in places like that. I know that someone on here has a tarp down over the whole area her bunnies are in to protect her home.

great site on bunny-proofing: http://binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/CategoryID/8/PID/940/Default.aspx

though unfortunately, sometimes they do chew on walls and such and you don't know you need to block access until the damage has already been done ><

the only way to 100% bunny-proof is to keep them locked up 24/7, which is what I've opted to do - I have almost my entire living room fenced in (everything but the sofa, which is way in the back). there's a huge tarp down under everything so that they can't ruin the carpet, though I'm sick of having to sweep it because it can't be vacuumed, so I'm about to put tile down over the tarp :p (http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/garage/diamond-grid-loc-tiles.html in imperial purple)

DSCF04842.jpg

they have over 120 square feet of running-around space, plus a 3-story condo (min recommended space for a bunny/bonded pair that doesn't get 4-5h a day outside the cage is 60 square feet), so I don't feel bad about keeping 'em locked in the living room ;)

the only outlets in my living room are behind the bunny condo (which iirc doesn't work), on top the fireplace mantle (so really high up) and on the wall behind the sofa (like 6' away from the pen), so in case I need to power something in the bunny pen (blow up the air mattress to sleep in there with 'em, power the shop vac to clean, power the dremel/drill when I'm sitting in there making sugar glider toys, etc.), I ran an extension cord along the top (the pens are 48'' high, so it's well out of reach), securing it with zipties, and I keep the extra length coiled up when not in use:

Honestly..no such thing as 100% bunny proofed. mine free roam a room, and i keepcardboard boxes in empty corners to prevent carpet pulling and rug runners along the main wall they chill on to prevent carpet pulling there, also.

We only have a couple cords in there, and we use this, which is super pretty and keeps everything 100% safe even when the rats free roam their part of the room :)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015EDVVU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back