House Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that Lily is fixed and ready to go, she can now rome the house and truely become part of the family. But how much of the now-bunny-proofed house do you let your buns have?

:happybunny:

Why don't you start letting her explore one or two rooms with supervision and see how it goes. Be sure to set out several litterboxes. and plenty of toys,cardboard boxes, etc.

We let our bunns explore one room and then let them intoanother and another...now they have the run of the whole house! The only places they aren't allowed to go are the basement(the last safe bastion for the cats!!) and our bedroom (our male lop still likes to pee on mommys clothes if he gets the chance!!). Our house is one level and only about 1050 sq. feet in total so not huge! We have never really had any trouble with the bunns running free. We did have a couple of phone cord issues...but that was my fault for no making sure I'd hidden them well enuff! :D We do lock them in at night though! Our one bunn likes to harass the cats so at least at night they can nap without having to keep an eye out for Peppers! But if we are gone during the day or anything like that they are still allowed out and about! They are very well beahved bunnies! <knocking on wood!>;)

They have one litterbox in their hutch and one in the livingroom. We started out with one in each room and then slowly removed them till we had just the two.We also provide a whole bunch of chewies and toys so they don't get bored and decide to chew my stuff!! :D

Do you mean permanently out or supervised playtime while she's out of her cage? If you want her permanently out then I suggest you start slowly with supervised playtime. Being spayed doesn't make a rabbit perfect and she still needs to know how to behave. And you'll need your rabbitproofing tested. They always find something you missed!

When my rabbits are out, they are allowed in the living room, dining room, and kitchen. Only one bun goes into the dining room and kitchen because they are slippery. My two non-bunny bedrooms are not bunny proofed yet and have lots of cords.

One quick pointer- make sure she's not into chewing carpet. That's dangerous, and a carpet chewer should not be allowed out while you're not around. They'll usually pick a spot where you can't see them like behind furniture, etc.

I only wish I could have my bunnies out all day in the house. But my family has allergies and my dog is terrified of them (she's a 60 pound sheperd mix so it's quite funny). As a solution I built them a 16 foot by 14 foot room in my basement with full spectrum lights, windows, heat, dehumidifier and all the other rabbit accoutrements! They love it and they have make as much of a mess as they want. I would suggest getting down on your hands and knees and really bunny-proofing the house. Then start with supervised playtime and graduate to perhaps letting the bunny have free run of a couple of rooms and then move onto the whole house. Good luck!

At the minute, my girls only have one room for them, and they only get to play out when I'm home, so that I can check in on them. I've got a problem with two of them liking to chew carpet, and until that issue's sorted they won't be allowed elsewhere in the house.

But even before I let them out elsewhere, they'll have just the one room to play in unsupervised, so that I know just how good they're going to be!

the rabbits usually have the whole studio to run around in, but lately i have been just giving them half because Alex has to be watched so closely and its easier to watch him only giving him half the room. my rabbits are usually out of thier cages when ever i am home. i never leave Alex out alone, but i leave Ryo out alone often. she never gets into stuff.

When Kirby (the boxer) is crated, Elf has full run of the house EXCEPT....

• The bathroom--I can't get her out from behind the big footed-cast-iron tub. I'd prefer she not go in there.
  • My bedroom--too many nooks and crannies and I don't want her to sneak her way under the waterbed.
  • The kids' playroom--actually, she's allowed in there when they have put all their toys away...but otherwise, no.

Latest posts

Back