Hotot genetic question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
Ansel is skittish so I havent been able to look at her eye real closely, but it appears to have a bit of blue in the iris rim. No injury - but just a bit of blue in color.

Is this a possibility, does anyone know - or make a trick of the light as she runs from me?

Fey and Sprite both have that. I think Pamnock told me it means they might have been crossed with blue eyed white rabbits at some point, often to prevent too much inbreeding which can be a problem in less common breeds such as dwarf hotots.

I think it looks neat!;)

Flower has this, too...you can see it in this picture:

000_0348.jpg

And Naturestee is right...I was told the same thing about Flower...some blue-eyed white mixed in the genepool. :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

Blue spots in Dwarf Hotot & Hotot eyes are due to the Dutch marking gene. Similar markings often occur in BEW sports.

Pam

Is coloring like that allowed to be shown? I am not clear what the Eye Color should be... I checked my Standards Book and the only reference I can find is under Eyebands (DQ's) ..."Spots or marbling in eyes, Eye color other than called for in the Standard."

I've seen Dwraf Hotot's with the blueflecking in the eyeand they SO pretty... just wondering.

Ok, wait - I'm confused... a blue eyed white- hotot? Why are they mixed in if blue isnt acceptable?

Leaf wrote:
Ok, wait - I'm confused... a blue eyed white- hotot? Why are they mixed in if blue isnt acceptable?

There are some breeders attemtping to get the blue bands accepted. We have the blue band gene in our herd.

Pam

Latest posts

Back