Hot Weather Panic!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassnessxox

Reaction score
So I just read the forecast for christmas day, it will be 40 degrees here which is approx 104 F!! That sort of weather will kill ME let alone my poor buns! The biggest problem is that I am going away christmas eve and I will be back boxing day morning. I can't even give them a frozen water bottle while I'm gone or it will be melted before it even gets hot!

I have been trying to bond my newly neutered buns to be able to share the laundry on christmas day because I knew it would be hot (not THIS hot though!) But Bambi is still a bit humpy towards Cleo so I can't leave them alone together yet. That's the only room in the house that will be cool enough and even then I'm still worried!

Not in any room I could keep the buns in. Only in the bedrooms and the living area downstairs and I don't think I could afford to run it the whole time we are gone either.

can you put up a divider in the room or put one of them in a pen? a fan would also help if you could set one up for them. if you have a neighbor you're friendly enough with to let them in your home, maybe you could beg someone to put out the water bottles for you...

sorry your weather sucks :( it looks like I'm gonna have another 80F christmas/birthday... and it's winter over here!

We have a metal pen that I was considering dividing the laundry up with but I'm not sure how to secure it against the walls. There isn't enough room to fit the whole thing in with room for the other bun...Its sort of an odd shaped room. Hmm...

Also, does anyone have some good ideas for bunny proofing a fan cord? I'll have to find some accessible power points...

Urgh Ill hate to leave them all day in that heat =(

Haha 80F sounds like a nice day here! Does it snow at all over there?

Last edited:
it snowed february before last... not even 1/8''... only time I've seen snow here and I've lived here 17 1/2 years. there were a couple winters when I was a teenager where we had an ice day.

info on bunny-proofing cords: http://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/CategoryID/8/PID/940/Default.aspx#Wires

if you aren't opposed to drilling a few holes in your wall, you can get things called screw eyes (basically a loop attached to a stick part that screws into the wall... depending on the wall, you might be able to screw them in by hand; if you have to drill a hole, you want to pick a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw part of the screw eye so that when you screw it in, it's nice and snug). once you have them in the wall, you can zip-tie the playpen to them. I recommend using numerous screw eyes for each edge of the pen you're attaching to a wall so there's less likely to be a significant failure if the bunnies put their weight on the pen.

Mmm yea I can't, Im renting =S
But thanks for the link!

Its funny, I always assumed that it snowed everywhere in America in winter! But I've recently discovered that it doesn't! lol

Hose piping protects cords; unless they're REALLY determined of course!

Freezing tiles, or bricks won't melt, but obviously won't last all Christmas. Maybe move the fridge in, and leave the door open? :twistedtongue

Sorry being silly. Late nights do that to me. :D

Conduit or plumbing pipes work for the cords.. Today was 37 degrees here.. I left the fan on for Mookie while I was at work and the tiled floor stays nice and cool.. Just make sure they have lots of water and I'm sure they'll be fine.. Also those moveable picture hanging hook things might work for the pen.. Maybe...

Ahh yea the moveable hooks might work, only there are a few rips in the wallpaper from where other tenants have used them before us...but he probably wouldn't even notice the laundry walls. I think I have a plan I could try...but I'll have to try it tomorrow coz Im exhausted x_x

are you talking about the Command hooks? not sure if those hooks are deep enough to do the job without the pen just slipping off, but the adhesive they use should be strong enough - they can really grip a wall.

Do you think the cable clips Command have would be strong enough? Bambi likes to push the pen around outside so Ill have to test it well first

it's certainly worth a try... is the wall smooth, btw? I've got textured walls in parts of my house and they don't grip as aggressively on those.

I would go with the medium or large cable clips rather than the small so that there's more adhesive space on each one.

It's quite smooth, where there have been removable hooks used on the other walls it looks like it grips aggressively enough to rip the paint off lol I just hope I can remove them without causing much damage

Latest posts

Back