HOT TOPICS: Cross-breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading some of the other responses, I have a request for another HOT TOPIC post, about whether it is right or wrong breeding (or cross-breeding) to fuel the pet market. I almost posted about it here, but feel that it would be going off-topic, even related to cross breds. So maybe we could have one of those in the future.:)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
After reading some of the other responses, I have a request for another HOT TOPIC post, about whether it is right or wrong breeding (or cross-breeding) to fuel the pet market. I almost posted about it here, but feel that it would be going off-topic, even related to cross breds. So maybe we could have one of those in the future.:)
Ok - so help me come up with the right questions to put in it and how to phrase it.

The way I'm picturing it is:

HOT TOPIC: Breeding for pets

1. Is it right/wrong to breed for pets and have you ever bred for just pets?
2. Would you ever do it?
3. What advantages/disadvantages do you see?

Is that what you're suggesting? If not - let me know what you mean a bit better so I can post it.

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
hat as I've shared...I'm not against cross-breeding - have done it myself - and will probably do it again for lionlops since I do get people asking for them a lot.

Now...sorry for my ramblings - back to the topic as it was meant to be discussed...
I don't know if she will com eon and join. i will ask her. She says she gets a lot of lion head breeders that take a second look at her jersey whoolies that end up with thicker ears, etc. maybe she will let me copy her message here.

The f1's shown at nationals do bother me. Esp when you know the person doing a cross like is only doing it so they can have an easy win(without naming names here). There is one person in my breed that does this, and rabbits bred down from several generations that are still line bred out of that crossbred line have nice type, but no coat.many of the older chin breeders refuse to purchase from that line. Those that have done so have had problems with it. I am currently helping someone that has *that line*, plus mine. Since mine will be cross bred to theirs to improve hopefully it will help them out. They didn't even know the rabbits they purchased were crosses. they are probably going to get ghost chins, and white rabbits somewhere down the line, and lots of them. Grrrrrrrrr. I have a feeling its going to come to a point that the new, and the old lines can be bred together, and i hope it benefits the breed in the end, and not the other way around. i don't have a problem with f2's and 3's as long as the bunny looks nice, and meets the standard. and the animals were used for improvement purposes.

Nope not against crossing either. If you do it its best to have experience, or have someone else that does help you out. :) Not just jump the gun and go cross a standard chin to a florida white so you can have an easy win at nationals. ;)
I think you are talking about Nancy.. She will not come and join this fourm. Like I told you on yahoo about it..

My Lion-Head buck haves some F2 F3, I think

TinysMom wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Ok - so help me come up with the right questions to put in it and how to phrase it.

2. Would you ever do it?

Is that what you're suggesting? If not - let me know what you mean a bit better so I can post it.
Does this include Show Rabbits that after the babies are born and you have pet quality rabbits?

mistyjr wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

2. Would you ever do it?

Does this include Show Rabbits that after the babies are born and you have pet quality rabbits?
From what I understand - it is more along the lines of "is it responsible to breed for pet rabbits when there are so many rabbits out there" or "is it responsible to breed when you know your rabbits are poor quality and will give pet quality rabbits"?

But that's why I asked the original poster of the idea for clarification.

TinysMom wrote:
mistyjr wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

2. Would you ever do it?

From what I understand - it is more along the lines of "is it responsible to breed for pet rabbits when there are so many rabbits out there" or "is it responsible to breed when you know your rabbits are poor quality and will give pet quality rabbits"?

But that's why I asked the original poster of the idea for clarification.
I think we should take it both ways. This is going to be a very interesting topic.

Yeah, I agree with lelanatty, I like both ideas. :) It just came up because there were several mentions of cross-breeding in order to produce pets in this topic. So I think it'd make another interesting topic.

1. Accidently I have and they were sold as pets.
2. If it is cross with any of the breeds i use in my breeding program, I will consider it.
3. It depends...
4. Yes, creating new breeds and colors.

I have had more than one person tell me that by doing this as a hot topic - I'm a sucker for opening a can of worms that could start a major fight.

BUT - I'm working on the opening for the topic...and as long as y'all will stick with what I ask for (no name-calling, etc) - I think we can make this work.

Since I have tomorrow off from work and can be near the computer - I'll be posting the thread tonight.

TinysMom wrote:
I have had more than one person tell me that by doing this as a hot topic - I'm a sucker for opening a can of worms that could start a major fight.

BUT - I'm working on the opening for the topic...and as long as y'all will stick with what I ask for (no name-calling, etc) - I think we can make this work.

Since I have tomorrow off from work and can be near the computer - I'll be posting the thread tonight.
I think they are fine as long as there is no pushing things at each other. Its nice to see how others do things with their rabbits, in their own barns. We all do things different.

Latest posts

Back