Hot extreme weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASKidwai

Reaction score
As India is ahot country, the weather in April and May, June, July, exceed 40 c.

But now, it is around 35c or 38c (in the shade). My rabbits hutch is very simple; a tin floor, iron mesh for the walls and roof. though they do have their burrow where they have a long and cold tunnel, i sometimes keep them in the cage.

i have moved the cage (and the rabbits as well) inside where it is around 25c to 30c.

the ceiling fan is sometimes on but due to irregular power supply and power cuts, it is not always on.
so is it advisable to keep them in the cage inside or should i leave them in the burrow.

as i will be leaving for the UK the day after tomorrow, i want to spend as much time i can with them.

thye are not showing any symptomes of heat stroke as mentioned in the lagamorph lib. but Bugs is stretching out quite a lot but then again he always was a lazy one:p

he strechted in the winter when the weather was around 6c to 10c.

all help will be appreciated.

We were in Chennai last August and it was positively BAKING!:shock::) Over 40 degrees!

Do you have any tiles or a water bottle that you can pop in the freezer/refrigerator?
If you cool these down...I prefer the tiles personally because bunn can stretch out right on top of them...your bunn can snuggle up next toa frozen water bottleand stay a little cooler...

I am assuming your bunns will have aclimatized somewhat to India's weather...but if you wouldn't enjoy wearing a fur coat in those temps neither will they! I know the power cuts are a pain...and you can't really plan for them...what about a shady area?
The worst part of the heat in India is the humidity...it makes it feel even hotter! So an area with a breeze or some air flow would be good...

If the power cuts out and the fans stop the temps in the house will rise...but it is def better than being outside in the sun!

You mentioned a tin floor to your rabbit run...I am assuming there is something covering the floor so it can't heat up on bunny feet?

Danielle:)

yh, there are some newspapers covering the run, i did put a frozen water bottle but he just pushed it to far corner? as madras is a coastal town, there is humidity but here in landlocked aligarh, only extreme heat. they dont drink much water. yes, they are inside in a fairly cooler temperature now.

bugs is like sorta shivering or something, his ears are swinging to and fro.

lol:biggrin2:
Apparently HE isn't worried about the heat!;)

Try wrapping the water bottle in a sock...sometimes bunns won'tcuddle them if the bottleis all wet.

Other than that; good ventilation, shade, try to keep them inside where it is cooler, make sure they have access to plenty of water at all times. If you have a fan that can move the air around...when there aren't brown outs...use that! Try to keep bunn on the lower levels of the house...heat tends to rise so the upper levels would be hotter...

I hope some of this helps!:)
Danielle

no good with a sock, he does not drink water, just turns it over and stretches on the wet surface:p

LOL:D

You could put a single ceramic tile in the freezer for about half an hour then put it where it's in reach to your bun for a cool place to lay.

Uhm..
Ice in his water bowl, it may melt quickly but it will keep the water cool.

When he gets hot, he'll do what he can to cool down.

Latest posts

Back