hot bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe77

Reaction score
would it be ok to put ice packs in my rabbits cage to keep them cool...the sort of ice packs you freeze to put in cool boxes...it says on the packs that the liquid it contains is non toxic

It should be fine. What I usually do is takea bottle and fill it not all the way and freeze it. So I don't see those would be any different.

duh...lol...why didnt i think of that...trust me to not think of the obvious..i go out and buy ice packs when all i could of done was freeze bottles of water...

Thats okay....those ice packs come in really handy forlunches or boo-boos! I have a freezer full of them for the kids lunch cans and for those moments when they hurt themselves.

I know it says non-toxic...but I still worry so I do the water bottles for the rabbits incase they chew it.

Aarrghhhh!!!!!! My Internet Explorer is killing me! :tantrum: I've lost my post 2x. :crash Here goes attempt #3. *sigh...deep breath*

Anyway, I tend to think along the same lines as petkeeper. "Non-toxic" may not necessarily apply to bunnies. I've used frozen water bottles, too. Just watch out for little bunny teeth.
kaos-animal-bunny-smiley-6193.gif
Pipkin has been known to create a bunny sprinkler in the cage!

Some folks here at RO also swear by frozen bricks (though I've not tried that). They say you should freeze them for 12 hours to get them nice and cold.

Also, Scratch and Newton has a product available in the UK called an "Icepod". (They're not sold in the States yet :bawl:.) Here's a link to their website:

http://213.123.213.153/hosting/scratchnewton/productview.aspx?productcat=Icepod

I'm told they're pricey...10 pounds...perhaps more than you want to spend when a frozen water bottle or brick would cost you little. Still, I can't wait for them to be available here. I like the idea of something that IS non-toxic to bunnies and I am presuming is "chew proof."

Good luck keeping your bunnies cool!

-Mary Ellen

One thing I found online once is that a marble slab stays really cool. We own a concret studio so we have bits and pecies of racoks liying around ower shop!

But we use frozen waterbottles. I wouldn't trust the ice packs. My rabbits would eat through it in a second. And I really don't know (I doubt it) that nontoxic applies to rabbits.

Hope I was some help,

-TK :)

Similar to what TK Bunnies is saying, I went to my local Home improvement store, and bought a few of their Odd Ceramic Tiles. They are very inexpensive. I keep a couple in the fridge and put a couple in their cage and just switch them every so often. They stay quiet cool, and the buns love to lay on them. Just a suggestion.

I have also used Frozen water bottles, but I find they make a huge mess of the cage as they de-thaw, and the rabbit fur gets stuck all over it. My fav is the Ceramic Tiles.

Crystal

Here are the things I do to keep Phinn safe in the hot weather:
These are for if your buns are outdoors...

-buy a large porch umbrella, and use it to shade the cage (being in the shade makes suucchhh a big difference)

-buy an electrical fan, I use a high power indoors one, but it is NEVER on if no one is home, in case it starts to rain. Also, bring it in at night.

-switch out ice packs, have 3-4 that you rotate. The bunnies love them and always use them.

-keep a fresh supply of water. I use a dish because they drink more. Every couple hours put a few icecubes in, it really freshens it up. Change and wash the bowl a couple times a day.

- have an indoor cage set up, just in case. Its really important that you have a back up plan.

Silvie :)

Latest posts

Back