HOT and HUMID

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancybutterfly

Reaction score
Oh boy!

The past three days have been very hot and humid. Although I have a small air conditioner and some fans, can the bunnies still feel uncomfortable?

Half day yesterday and this morning, Bob and Zeus haven't moved or eaten much.

Bob has been sitting in the corner of my house on top of a old metal grid thing on my floor. Zeus has been sitting by his cage, where a slight cross breeze can be felt from the fans. I heard Bob around and about last night, andhopping intohis cage to go tothe bathroom.Frommy room , I can't hear Z very well.

Neither one os eating this morning...

I'm worried! I put frozen water bottles them too.

You do need to be careful with heat because bunnies are very susceptable to heat.

I find frozen bricks work well, as do damp towels.

I have to dash out now, but I would suggest looking for the heat stress article in the Library (there is also a link on that thread for 'cooling a bunny'. Also, if you search 'frozen brick' you will find a thread or two where they have been mentioned and there will be other ideas too.

Thanks...I just lookeed at the house temp, and it's about 73. But it still feels a bit humid...

I crunched down to where Bob is in the cornr of my room. It does el cool down there, and ahe was stretched out like a cat...s I know he's comfortable. I guess what worries me is, the rest of the room is cool too, since that where the air is. So I don't get why he's in the corner. It can't be that it's too cool, b/c he has access to the living room, away from the air....
Zeus is in his cage, doing his pee and such...
sorry if this seems trivial and I'm noting every detail, but I'm a little worried...
Since I strted bonding too a few days ago, I worry that I may have upset Bob, but Zeus is the same way right now...

I think it's very important to monitor the details. You know your rabbits do the same thing about you! I guarantee you they do. :)

It sounds like the temperature in your house is just fine, and I wouldn't worry about that. If it's below 75, the humidity isn't going to be that bad, anyway.

Definitely keep an eye on their eating, making sure they have plenty of fresh hay, and water, and their poops are a normal size.

Thanks Gordon,

Bob didn't eat last night or this morning. He's had some water and has access to food and hay. He's pee'd but not pooped. But if he's not eating...is he going to poop?

Zeus ate fine yesterday but not this a.m.

I am worried about GI Stasis...they both regularly eat lettuce, pellets, and hay.
I just checked on them...Zeus is up in his bed where he usually goes to nap. Bob is also in his fav spot, what looks like sitting normally...

yikes... :nerves1

fancybutterfly wrote:
Thanks Gordon,

Bob didn't eat last night or this morning. He's had some water and has access to food and hay. He's pee'd but not pooped. But if he's not eating...is he going to poop?

Zeus ate fine yesterday but not this a.m.

I am worried about GI Stasis...they both regularly eat lettuce, pellets, and hay.
I just checked on them...Zeus is up in his bed where he usually goes to nap. Bob is also in his fav spot, what looks like sitting normally...

yikes... :nerves1

I'm far from an authority on this sort of thing, but having my two guys as uber-spoiled house bunnies for four years, I can definitely understand your worries. All I can say is, from my experience with Peter and Bugs, is they will go a few hours just completely zonked out, not eating, drinking or anything. Then they'll munch up a storm, and poo and pee likewise. Depends on the temperament of the bunny to some extent, I suppose.

At this point, I would just continue to monitor the situation. If they haven't eaten or drank anything in more than a few hours, then I would definitely be wondering what is up, and perhaps you should be calling your vet. Do they have a vet for regular check-ups? I'm taking my two guys in for their yearly exams, next week.

I've seen Bob go pretty much all afternoon w/o eating.
Zeus has more of an appetite.
I'm gone most afternoons (work) so I am not sure...but since I am home in the summer, I do notice they disappear for long periods of time.

For Bob, he hasn't eaten since last night. Zeus was fine then, but didn't this a.m.
I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens later today..

fancybutterfly wrote:
I've seen Bob go pretty much all afternoon w/o eating.
Zeus has more of an appetite.
I'm gone most afternoons (work) so I am not sure...but since I am home in the summer, I do notice they disappear for long periods of time.

For Bob, he hasn't eaten since last night. Zeus was fine then, but didn't this a.m.
I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens later today..

I hate to give you bad advice, just based on what I've observed with my two. Peter and Bugs slow down on the eating during the summer, even with a generally cool, air-conditioned house. They are very contemplative, philosophical rabbits, and they only bunny-500 around when it suits them, which they did this morning, for some odd reason(who knows? :p).

Make sure you have good fresh Timothy hay, and at least two brands, or sources. I use three different suppliers for my Timothy, and that keeps us flush with a variety, that can be mixed up.

You didn't answer the question about a vet. I hope you have a rabbit-savvy vet you can call.

oh, sorry, Yes I have a vet.
If I don't see much change by tonight, I'll call him.

Thanks for your info. I've had them for over two years now, but I feel as though I am still learning bout them!
THey are in their "hidey places" and I put all their water, food, hay, with them, which I don't usually do. I wonder if I should take it back out...now I've given them no reason to come out! and I can't see what they are eating or not eating!

fancybutterfly wrote:
oh, sorry, Yes I have a vet.
If I don't see much change by tonight, I'll call him.

Thanks for your info. I've had them for over two years now, but I feel as though I am still learning bout them!
THey are in their "hidey places" and I put all their water, food, hay, with them, which I don't usually do. I wonder if I should take it back out...now I've given them no reason to come out! and I can't see what they are eating or not eating!

LOL, hey, I understand how you feel! I think the main thing right now is just to relax. From what you've said in this thread, it sounds like they're ok, just keep an eye on them.

I wouldn't bring all their food and water to them. Leave it where they are accustomed to going to, and if they continue avoiding contact with food/water, please call your vet.

I had heard somewhere that you should try to entice them with a fruit..something that can't resist...
So. when I went into Zeus' room, he came running out like he normally does!!!!!!!! and ate a grape!

I gave one to Bob, he didnt take it, but somtimes he doesn't. I could check in awhile, and it be gone..he's tempermental like that. He did drink earlier. I had made the mistake though of putting water under the bed. So i can't tell if he has or not. I have since moved it. I also refreshed hay, even though it didn't need it.

Unfortunately I have to step out for a bit. I'll see what he's like when I get back.

Thanks for asking and the info!

Hydration is absolutely the most important thing. So if you can give him a bowl of plain water and also a bowl with water laced with a bit of something (like apple juice, cranberry juice, vanilla) to entice him to drink.

I think there may come a time when he needs to get vet checked though because even for a hot and bothered bunny they will generally eat when its cooler, and he hasn't/didn't.

Well, Zeus is back to normal...
Bob.I got him out of the corner, he hopped around the room a little, had a few licks of water spiked wth apple juice.Then he just sat a stared at me for a bit..not that unusual, but he just seems a little more laid back today.

Can I put Pedialyte in his water?
I cancelled everything tonight so I can stay and keep an eye out....

Well, I called the vet...there response was..."we're leaving in 15 minutes, but I can sk the Doc if he has nay dvise for you". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They gave me reasons why this could be happening, which I knew. But, I wanted him to see the doc!

Anyway, I justed peeped on him, and after hounding Bob for hours, well, all day, he finally was licking up the apple water. I also put out pineapple juice and Pedialyte. After the apple, he went ovr an tried the pineapple.

KEEP IT UP BOB!

Well, hehas ventured out of my bedroom and into the Living room, his usual hang out.
Perhaps he's feeling better...?

Honestly I have seen mine doing the same the last few days. Its been unusually humid. I find it to bevery normalfor this time of year.

Bob hasn't had a drink since earlier today.
I have him out of the bedroom, but he seems to want to go back in there, but all he does is lay under the bed. I want him in the living room so he will move around more.

If hehas GI stasis, would he be hopping around and groomng himself?

Latest posts

Back