Horrible situation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pla725

Reaction score
I went to a local shelter with the aniticapation of checking on a mother rabbit and her new-born litter and also taking another rabbit for my rescue. The so-called vet tech informed that she euthanized the mother and babies because momma rabbit bit her when she moved the babies. This absolutely made me ill. I was nearly in tears. Of course she got all idignate because I got upset.She blamed me and, yes I blamed her. I know shelters are not equipped to deal with mother rabbits and litters but this was not the way to deal with this.

I really feel that she took it personally when not just with me but with the rabbit. I told her I've been bit but I dealt with it. I didn't blame the rabbit. I know how to deal with so-called aggressive rabbits.

I'm still upset. I thinking about reporting this situation. I have to figure out who to contact.

It was lack of communication between the person I was dealing with and this person. Unforunately the rabbits paid for it.

I read this post and didn't know where to begin. I actually went outside to work on the treeline some more but the neighbor dogs are running so I decided to come in again.

I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry for the loss of the bunnies - for the pain you're feeling and for the ignorance of the owner that turned the rabbit in to the shelter.

I can't speak for that shelter - nor can I speak for any shelter that takes rabbits in because my animal control deals with dogs and cats. Rabbits fall under livestock, and honestly don't end up in shelter situations very often in my immediate area.

I'm sure the Mom bit out of frustration and protection - not agression as it may have seemed to the employee.

Going on my experience, agressive animals cannot be adopted out (and I have stories that could reduce me to tears over decisions having to be made to that effect) - and space is always an issue. Perhaps because the rabbit "seemed" agressive she became unplaceable - especailly since she had a litter that wasn't weaned and they'd be taking space for some duration of time?

I can't make excuses. You were there, I wasn't. I couldn't begin to try to justify anything - and with as hurt as you are I'm afraid my words could only make things seem worse.

I'm so sorry.

:in tears:

I doubt it was a space issue. The one person knew I was coming and didn't say anything to the vet tech. I really thinkthe vet techtook it personallyagainst the rabbit. She just didn't want to deal with the mother and babies anymore. That is my feeling.

Some people might think I making more out of this but this is how I feel. I'm still upset. I'm crying and can't stop.

It is okay. I know the ACOs and others in shelters have tough jobs. I told them that. I couldn't do that job.

I'm social worker. I know I can't save everyone I work with. Sometimes you have to cut your loses and walk away from those who don't want to help themselves. You take the what little thanks you can and be greatful that you helped someone.

pla725,

I am also horrified about what happened. If people took the time to find out about bunnies and learn about their behavior the whole "aggressive" rabbit junk would be a non-issue. Take heart, as bad as this outcome was the situation is getting better. I look forward to the day when I hear someone casually say " I'm a rabbit person" just like they do with dogs and cats.

I'm so sorry this happened. Our shelter won't deal with babies at all. That is why I had to pull Princess and her 7 babies from there. At least they called us though.

that makes me feel sick! how could anybody do that? and this person is a vet tech?!?! i'm behind you all the way if you decide to repost the awful person! you don't just kill something because it makes you mad! Jamie's frustrated me, but he's still here! argg, i just hate people some times!

What gets me that the one person knew I was coming to at least check on them. The vet tech response was that if she had known I was coming she probably won't have euthanized momma and babies. Ugh! It was just poor communication. I blame myself for part of that.

At least I got the other adult out of there.

Had you named the Mom and her babies? What breed or look did they have?

I know it's a little irrelivant, but at the same time...

I just planted a beautiful bush with yellow trumpet shaped flowers. If you'd like, in honor of the little family lost I could build up around it and make it a proper "memorial" for them.

Because it is a new plant it isn't full and beautiful, but it will be and as many of my plants are, it'll be a reminder to me of this incident, as I learned of it on the day I planted.

Maybe that way, even though we're a distance apart there will be a reminder, always, of the care and dedication so many show to these wonderful creatures.

The shelter had named momma rabbit Archie. I guess they didn't realize that the rabbit was a female let alone a pregnant one.

It was just "cold". That is best way I can describe how I felt that this person came across to me. She has a hard job. I don't envy her position. I just feel she was too quick too judge. I know not all animals in shelters can be saved.I ramble here because I'm still really upset.

Once I calm down I'm going to make it a goal to see that this shelter and others are educated about rabbits. We've discussed it within the rescue.

Thanks for the dedication. It helps.

This is the plant, though I had a hard time getting a picture because of the wind. I'll have better ones once I get everything properly taken care of.

Photos837.jpg

Photos838.jpg

Photos839.jpg

I wish I knew what kind it is but I've forgotten the name of it.

Aww i'm sorry to hear that Paula....that's just verysad...that poor little family...that brought tears to my eyes just thinking about it....and yes i must agree with the ignorant human's statement!....poor little bunnies.

Cheryl

Oh wow, that is TERRIBLE! Does she seem regretful at all? That poor mama and those poor little babies. It just seems ridiculous to kill a mother rabbit because she bit someone- she was protecting her babies! Even labeling her as aggressive seems silly, she was doing what a good mother does. Heck, my boy Rory is usually the sweetest bunny, but he attacked me once and bit me badly because he was jealous of the new rabbit. I definitely wouldn't label him as aggressive or dangerous or anything because of that though. Sheesh.

Leaf, I love your plant and that you're making a little memorial to these dear rabbits.

Poor little bunny family, thats just terrible. I can't believe some people! She hsould have learned how to handle bunnys like that, she was just protecting her kits!

Leaf
I just started to tear up when I saw that beautiful plant which could be a memorial to the momma and babies.

Babette is planted next to a beautiful rosebush which is in bloom.

I want to get a "stepping stone plaque to put on her grave..the one whose last line is "I'd go right up to heaven and bring you back again.."

The vet tech at the shelter is just plain hard and too lazy to call you, pla 725

I have dealt some with rabbits being euthanized for biting but at least it has been argued about and talked about and cried about before it was done.
Our shelter does a lot less of that now .

But for her to say that it was because it bit her is just ignorant and cruel...

I would be upset too.

You should try to report her or at least report poor attitude if they say the rabbits had to go because of space
Sorry that you had to go through that pla 725

Thanks guys. I think I will turn this horrible situation into an educational outreach for the rescue. It is needed. I'm doing this in memory of Archie and her babies.

Any suggestions are welcommed.

I think I need to take a break for now. I'm all upset again and the tears are streming down my face. I'm getting so upset I feel like I'm going throw up my dinner.

I still think space was the least of the problem. There was space. It was just that the she quick to rush to judgement and "punished" Archie and her babies for Archie doing what any mother would do.

Here is what I found while doing some research on the shelter's euthanasisa policy. I need to know if the vet tech made the decision alone or was the executive director involved. If not then she violated policy.

Euthanasia of animals depends on a variety of factors that include the severity of illness or injury, aggression toward humans or animals, and overcrowding of the facility. The staff also considers the adoptability of the animal, its length of stay in the shelter and the type of animal. The executive director and one of the veterinarian technicians make the determination of which animals are selected for euthanasia.

This is clearly an education issue.

pla725 wrote:
I think I need to take a break for now. I'm all upset again and the tears are streming down my face. I'm getting so upset I feel like I'm going throw up my dinner.
I can understand how you feel....it was a cruel and heartless thing that lady did...i don't think there was any need for her to have done such a low act as she did just because the mum was just protecting her babies.

If your post alone wasn't bad enough, pla725, Leaf's made me cry. What a wonderful thing to do.:hug: It's a beautiful plant, what a nice memorial.

I agree with what some others have said here as far as the rabbit biting not being aggressive, but protective, and one bite is nothing. This really upsets me too. Obviously she is heartless and uncaring and maybe shouldn't even be a vet tech a all, imo:grumpy. She could've at least called someone who would have been willing to come get them.

Binky free little sweethearts, it wasn't your time.:rainbow:

Latest posts

Back