Horrible accident

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippity18

Reaction score
my bunny was in the chicken coop run doing her usual, running around flipping jumping eatting hay....and usually i go in the house and clean while she gets her energy sperts out of her system, well this time when i walked out there it seems as if she tried to dig out, she was under the rooster gate door and it crushed her lower back. i dont know how long she was like that for but when i got her out up and out she wasnt moving her back legs, my bf thinks she is paralized from the waist down, i looked under her and her vagina and anus hole are really swollen!! and dark red, she had to of crushed her insides along with her spine being damaged. i have no idea what to do she does not act like she is in pain, she crawls with her front legs the vet wants to put her down but i have a little hope still, what bunny mom wouldnt? if she doesnt show any type of improvement i will have no choice today is day 2, she poops diarrhea and pees very thick dark yellow, she eats and drinks... im so scared. any suggestions would help please??

Oh my goodness sweetie, I am so sorry. Sounds like she tried to go under, got stuck and panicked. Sounds like an extremely serious injury and you should take her to the Vet ASAP. As you probably already know rabbits can be in pain and show no signs. Please take her to the Vet NOW if at all possible!
I can't imagine what you are going through right now I am so sorry.
Keep us posted please.
:pray:

How long ago did it happen. What did the vet exam say. I would be tempted to go for cage rest for a few days alongside a painkiller (bunnies don't necessarily show pain even when they are in). If the paralysis is caused by swelling then it should show signs of improvement. An xray would also give you more information about whether there is serious damage to the spine of just the soft tissue.

thanks guys, the xray up here at amc is wayyyyy too much for me to pay for at the moment i feel terrible that i cant but im trying to save up every penny i got for her. its been 2 days so far i had to go for the vets hear say. he thinks when the gate was on her it squished her intestines and damaged them pretty bad but not enough to kill her, so she has a chance of surviving but it will take a few months.... when i got home i washed her bum to try and get rid of some of the caked on poop and her fur started FALLING OUT!!! now im starting to panic even more then what i already was. thank you for all of the prayers guys.:(

Candee - hang in there. Keep her quiet, feed her extra, stroke her softly, wash her and pray. All the rest is in higher hands. If she is not going to have quality of life or pain you will know, love her enough to make that decision.
I feel so bad for you.

I am so sorry. Has the vet done any blood work to see if her kidneys are still functioning properly? That is not too expensive and could be helpful to determine how she's doing. She definitely needs to be on Metacam (meloxicam) and probably also a narcotic pain med like tramadol or buprenorphine. The meloxicam can help with swelling. Be careful to look for signs that she is in too much pain.

Hippity, I'm so sorry to hear of what you're going through. I'm clueless about bunnies and lots of other things, but I have some thoughts and wonder if Tony could shed some light on them, especially if I'm way off base.

Is the fur coming out possibly just because of the poop building up a bit due to the injury? Is it possible that it's because of rabbits being very sensitive to stress (according to what I've heard)?

Something else I wonder about is steroids to help with healing. They haven't prescribed them so far for my dog who's suffering from a disk-related paralysis, but I know that when my brother suffered paralysis due to inflamation, part of his treatment was with prednizone. My mom got that for a paralysis issue as well. Again, I have no idea about bunnies, or whether these drugs are ok for them, so if Tony has thoughts on it, I'm interested to know for me and for you.

If you need x-rays or other really expensive stuff, I wonder if you might be able to apply for the Care Credit card or something similar? I guess it's a card with an interest rate that's a little bit high, but it can be used to pay for treatment of animals and people. I don't know if every vet accepts it, but UF's vet hospital gave us an application the other day when we brought our dog in paralysis issue. We didn't get approved, but my credit is a little dinged up. Their info is at http://www.carecredit.com/. (Please feel free to edit if posting links to commercial sites is prohibited?)

I hope any of these thoughts are helpful, even if they just lead to other better ideas. Good luck.

Internal damage (which is what it sounds like) will not heal on its own. She really needs pain meds, it is impossible for her to not be in a considerable amount of distress from her injuries. The hair is likely falling out from urine and feces constantly being in contact with the skin.

I hate to be negative but if you cannot afford to get her the needed medical attention (please note I'm not judging you for it!) for these life threatening injuries then I would euthanize.:(

Steroids are usually not used in rabbits because in their normal state they are immunocompromised. Steroids reduce the immune response to injury, which is what can cause a lot of the problems in spinal cord injury, but because they reduce the immune system all over the body, and rabbits already have such weak immune systems, they aren't often used in rabbits. Sometimes they are used in spinal cord injury in rabbits, within the first 24 hours or so of the injury, but it's the vet's decision, and some vets don't use them in rabbits at all. Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, so it reduces the pain, swelling, and some immune response to the injury without knocking down the entire immune system.

Rabbits are really sensitive to stress and often a stressful event will throw a bunny into a molt. I know taking my guys on a long car trip, to visit family for instance, will cause them to start a molt, no matter where they are in their current molt cycle. The waste on the skin could also cause the fur to fall out.

Happi Bun wrote:
Internal damage (which is what it sounds like) will not heal on its own. She really needs pain meds, it is impossible for her to not be in a considerable amount of distress from her injuries. The hair is likely falling out from urine and feces constantly being in contact with the skin.

I hate to be negative but if you cannot afford to get her the needed medical attention (please note I'm not judging you for it!) for these life threatening injuries then I would euthanize.:(
Agreed. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is the right thing to do. And for a poor creature to be in so much pain... Well, it's just cruel to make her go through that if she doesn't have to.

maybe to offer a little bit of hope.... a heavy metal chair fell on my nephews bunny who was still a baby at the time (maybe 6 months old) and she was flattened by it, especially in the hind area. anyway to make a long story short, she survived and is perfectly normal now. good luck to you and your bunny, your heart will tell you what to do if it should come down to a "decision"

That's awful. If the spine has been broken or damaged and a lot of internal crushing, then I honestly and very sadly don't think there's a whole lot that can be done. I would love to say to put her on some pain meds and see how it goes for a week, but it sounds like a really serious injury. Either way you decide to go, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your bun.

sorry guys she passed away a couple days ago. it was pretty bad i felt horrible i couldnt do very much for her. i miss her. and the other bunnies do as well. especially her best buddy snowball. thank you for all the advice and prayers. you guys helped alot.

Latest posts

Back