Horny rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meghan910

Reaction score
I think the title speaks for itself, LOL! I'mlooking into getting Manhattan neutered, looking for the right vet. Anysuggestions? I'd really appreciate it. Thanx.

Meghan

Hi Meghan,

I posted this a while ago.

When looking for a veterinarian, it’s agood idea to check with other rabbit pet owners in the area, a 4-Hgroup, a local breeder for suggestions, or justword-of-mouth. You can look through the Yellow Pages or theinternet for a list of vets near you. The House RabbitSociety’s list of recommended vets as well.http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/PB_vets.html

Don’t be afraid to askquestions. You deserve to be treated with courtesy andpatience, and if you’re not, you might think twice on how they’d treatyour rabbit if they’d treat you that way.

As with everything, you have your goodand bad. Some vets are good, some are not. Taketime to research and interview before an emergency comes up.Some of the questions I’ve asked, I already know the answer to, but Iwant to see what the vet says about it just to test them a bit on the‘small stuff’. Here as someexamples.

Everyone please participate withquestions you feel relevant.[/i]
[/i]
-Carolyn

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[/i]
? How many rabbits do they treat each week?
? How long have they been in practice and treating rabbits?
?What are the common ailments rabbits are treated for at their hospital?
? Have they treated for G.I. Statis, e.cuniculi, Pasteurella, tumors, abscesses, fly strike?? How do they closeincisions?
? Do they spay and/or neuter rabbits at their hospital?

? Knowing how stress can be deadly fora rabbit, what accommodations are made for rabbits? (Myanimal hospital has a room just for small exotic animals, away from allthe cats and dogs.)
? Do they recommend stopping feed onthe night before a surgery. (Answer should beno.)
? What do they recommend you do to prepare a rabbit for surgery?
? What type of anesthesia do theyuse? (Isofluorane or Sevofluane is commonly used thesedays.)
? What are some of the antibiotics theyuse on rabbits? (Amoxicillin, lincomycin, and clindamycincould be deadly with one dose. Penicillin, actually any‘cillin’ could be fatal to a rabbit. Baytril or Maxaquin orBactrim is commonly used and is okay for your rabbit.)
? What are their hours and how do they handle emergencies after hours?
? What are the most common surgeries they perform on rabbits?
? What does a visit cost and what does it include?
? What methods of payment do they take,and will they bill if one can’t pay upfront?
? What do they recommend for hairballs and the treatment and prevention of them?

Upon each exam, I have the doctor check all of the following:

Lungs, Heart, Legs, Teeth, Gums, Back,Weight, Temperature, Eyes, Ears, Palpate female if unspayed and olderfor cancer/tumors, check for hairballs, abscesses or lumps, breathing,nails, feet, and anything else you can think of. If theydon't do these things, ask for them to bedone.

Latest posts

Back