Hormones... What should I be expecting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country-Girl

Reaction score
So benelli (nella) is going to be turning 4 months old tomorrow! (1/2/14). I've never had a doe before. And don't know what I should be expecting like in behavioral changes. Can anyone give me a heads up on the behavioral changes they observed and what was the age that your rabbit started puberty.

Honestly, yes I would love to get my baby girl spayed once she's of age. But it's the horror stories that keep me contemplating, money is not the issue.... But I couldn't imagine my rabbit not making it through the surgery or recovery. I would literally want to destroy everything in my path because I would know if I never went through with the spay - Shed be alive.

I'm not sure what the odds are, but I've heard that unspayed females have a high chance of getting uterine cancer. I myself have a male, so I can't tell you about hormonal females. My boy is going to be neutered sometime in the near future because he's cryptorchid. However I've had him for a year (he was already an adult when we found him) and he doesn't show any stereotypical hormonal intact male behaviors.

Yes, unspayed females have a high risk of uterine cancer, I believe this is more so if they're not being used to breed.

As long as you find a rabbit savvy vet, all should be well. There is obviously still a risk, there always is with surgery, but not getting it done puts her at risk of the cancer too.

So I found a vet guys! They have amazing reviews on yelp & there recommended by the house of rabbit society! It's in Palo Alto, Ca! Can't wait!

It won't let me click on the fbook link. What's your name on Facebook? So I can manually look up!

I just looked at the videos of Bun Jovi and she was carrying hay and nesting because she had a false pregnancy- thats what mine did along with just seeming hot-and-bothered and frustrated- I feel sorry for them when they get hormonal and it really is better to spay them.

She might get a lot more territorial. If she has a pen she wont want you near it and may box or growl at you. She might be a bit more possessive about toys or blankets. She may start spraying things. When Shya was a doe she could mark a four foot streak up a wall. No one was safe and it always seemed like I had an orange cat. She may have false pregnancies like mentioned earlier. You may get lucky and she may not have any issues at all.

I'm Cyndi Hannahs on Facebook. Jovi had her spay yesterday and we couldn't be happier about it. I suspected false pregnancy when she was stashing hay and pulling blankets in her box, but when she started plucking out plugs of fur, that was the clencher. She also started tearing up the carpet and digging with a vengeance....and humping. She would hump my son's arm.

And I just have to add, we were exactly of the frame of mind you are. Scared silly of losing her. The key is a bun savvy vet. One who's done lots of spays and has lots of bun experience. Yes, I paced, worried and was in a bad mood all day while waiting, but happy endings happen! We found our vet, Dr Paladino, right here at rabbits online in the listings for Arkansas. He was amazing and I will never use anyone else.

Here's another false pregnancy hormonal horror for you!

Jovi is 3 days out of her spay. The day before she went in, she started pulling furr. I took this picture this morning. Bless her little hormones.

attachment.php

furr plucker.jpg

Mine is almost 5 months and shes a naughty girl hyper as heck an chewing her cage non stop ...she also has one big sassy attitude have word no lo

Thank you for everyone who's responded! Benellis been acting somewhat different. Thank goodness it's not towards my dog or cat. But she gives me attitude at times and is starting to mark her territory big time. It's sucha disaster!

It is also matting season my bunnys scratching and trying to nest in her cage ! And running around humming beacuse she wants a male bunny

It's two weeks today since Jovi's spay. She's still digging and pulling up carpet, but the furr plucking has stopped. I understand it may take a month for the hormones to subside, but we've given her designated dig spots and rolled up lots of towels (that she likes to dig on and unroll). Lord help us!

Interesting. Yes I do agree spring time is mating season for all animals. I see all the baby dove, geese, rabbits & squirrels running around lol. My rabbit loves to just chew and throw things. It's so annoying lol. But what can a person doo lol.... Nothing!

Latest posts

Back